Gear Oil Recommendation? / Pinion seal help?

Steve70Carlo

Hi all,

My 70 Monte has a Strange Engineering Posi unit with Richmond 4.10 gears. Its a .030 over 454 with a TH400 transmission with a 3200 stall converter. I am about to embark on changing the pinion seal that is leaking slightly and was looking around for opinions as to what weight gear oil I should put back in it.

I emailed the guys at Strange Engineering and they said to run 75W140 weight gear oil in the rear. Does this sound to heavy to you guys? I think I only had 80W90 in it.

Also, any suggestions to help with changing the pinion seal?

Do you have to install a new crush sleeve?

I have been reading about simply marking the pinion nut and after replacing the seal, simply torquing the nut down to where it was before.

As always, suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

I see no issue with 75w/140 If it has a strange unit in it that is what I would go with.

How long have the gears been in?

Pinion seals usually leak for a reason, I would check the preload on the bearing before disassembly and check for roughness in he bearings.

I would put in a new crush washer, I prefer the solid shim.

Mike and Sam, With the 75W/140 gear oil, is an additive needed for the posi unit, or does this weight/ oil formulation cover it? I have seen it in both synthetic and non synthetic grades. I am used to using 80W/90 with an additive for the posi clutches. Just FMI.

Mike,

The gears have been in the car since 2001. I only drove it on weekends and some track days for about 3 years and parked it in 2004 where it has been sitting in storage ever since. I just pulled it out of storage and am going over the car before I put tags back on it and I noticed a drip coming from the pinion.

I've never changed a pinion seal before and wasn't sure on the difficulty of it. I didn't set up the gears in it. I had it done by a guy in Baltimore at the time. Now I live a distance away from him and am not sure if he's even around anymore. What would be your opinion on the matter? Is it something that could be done with patience and instruction?

I think it is something you could do if you have average mechanical skills and some coaching.

Always add the posi additive.

I think strange does not like synthetic lube.