What size /Type of Stall Converter & Trans mount

snomobeelr

I have a Mildly Built 454 , the conveter I have is basically stock from what I remember think it was a 1200 stall but not sure.. I am putting the Motor and trans back in so wanted to know if there is a better stall I should put in.. Also if I should just keep the stock Transmount or get an diffrent one..

Here is the build :

TH-400

1973 454 block

Heads are 781 casting/ Oval port with the Large Valves

Mild cam

9 to 1 compression

air gap intake

750 Demon

373 rear end

I have a b&m 2000 stall in mine that I like a lot. I have heard that their quality has gone down in past years but mine has been great for me. If you post your cam specs there will probably be a lot of people that could give a more accurate choice. Some peoples mild cam can be pro-street for another lol. David

I think if I were you, I would call a couple of manufacturers with your specs and see what they say.

Mine is 8 inch and around 5200. I don't think you would like it.

the factory converters will usually stall around 15-1700 so yeah you would need to go up to at least a 22-2400 to really get any worth while difference. As Bruce said the B&M series is a very good off the shelf converter that will flash a little but drive pretty normal....

I never had a problem with the car stalling. Always moved pretty well. Just seemed to Tack up slowly and would tach out at 5800 to 6000 and I just want more. I was thinking since I have the motor out now and still debating on cleaning up motor and new cam a rolller. I spoke to Steve at Lunati who sugjested a Custom Grind which sounded good said it would tach up to 6400. Then I was talking with My friend who thinks I should get the top end kit with heads and cam and everything. He wants me to do the Edlbrock top end combo that is 2500.00. The Lunati Cam, Better Lunati Roller lifters and valve springs for my heads came to 1100.00 so I am stilll debating wich to do.. Will still need a converter. More decisions now. What you guys think..

Once you get the cam specs it will help the converter people narrow down what size and stall will work with your combo. Also the converter people will take into consideration vehicle weight, gearing, transmisson, and the use primary use of the vehicle, street, street/strip, strip only.

Just some food for thought.

Take care,

David