Service Replacement Block

Jeramy

im going to go look at a long block tomorrow and according to the owner its a 1979 350 4 bolt service replacement block. says it turns over by hand with no plugs in it and as far as he knows it should be able to drop in and run. 150 bucks for it. I plan to tear it down and refresh it any ways so as long as its not locked up it sounds like a good deal to me.

is there anything in particular that i should be on the look out for with one of these?

i ask because i have no known prior experience with one

i dont know if they are considered good engines or cheap junk gm threw in if your engine went bad under warranty.

well what i picked up is a 4 bolt 3970010 block with a stamp of v0399800.we pulled the pan before paying and it looked real nice and clean. ill pull the heads sometime this week

that is a great foundation for a mild or a little bit more engine. My advice is to go with parts for a 300-325 horse engine-those heads will easily support it. You are just starting out. That much will be enough to get you in trouble if you try hard enough-trust me been there lol. David

after much googling and reading what i have is

1979 4 bolt 350 3970010 casting

made in Flint Michigan(which is kinda cool cause so was my Monte)

462624 crack prone heads

and if any of the "metallurgy myths" are true then also a high nickel block

what i didnt get was a "hecho en mexico" targetmaster block

so all in all im very happy with my christmas present from my folks lol

OOoooh!! You have an 010 casting number!! Good find... that is a Higher Nickel content block... those are the Unicorns of GM Smallblocks (people seek them out for their magical properties, which aren't really proven).

Metallurgy myth confirmation:

Look behind the Timing cover for more numbers. You may see a 010 or a 020 - or both behind the timing cover and that indeed means (GM verified) it has higher ratio TIN and NICKEL than conventional castings. If it is just 010, that is nickel content 1% higher (partial unicorn - still damn good), if it is 010 AND 020 it is 1% Tin and 2% Nickel (the mega-unicorn!!)

In any case, if the block is in good condition and is 010 with a 4 bolt main - Turn that baby into a stroker!! The extra hardness (myth or truth?) means you can safely get some more rev's!

If it is indeed both an 010 and 020 (under timing cover) --- part it and sell it on ebay and make a bunch of cash off the Unicorn hunters.