Brake release assembly question.

MC1970U

Well the under dash restoration is starting to come together and I would like to thank everyone who has helped me.

Today’s question? The brake release is supposed to have some kind of spring mechanism which pulls the pedal upward when the release handle is pulled foreword correct?

Anyone know where that spring is on the release handle assembly? I am assuming that is inside on the pivot point. Is it repairable or do you have to buy a whole new assembly?

Thanks again,

Sonny

Perhaps these pictures of my 71 parking brake assembly will help. I don't remember any spring on this assemble that would help release the cables, that's done under the car and the springs on the brake shoes.

Pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

Perhaps these pictures of my 71 parking brake assembly will help. I don't remember any spring on this assemble that would help release the cables, that's done under the car and the springs on the brake shoes.

Pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

Originally Posted By: Sam (Bones)
the cables has springs on them which pulls the pedal back up

That is kind of what I expected but this is the first time I have ever pulled one for detailing and I wanted to make sure as the pedal was not fully returning prior to me removing it for cleanup.

And you got to know the first thing I did was check those pictures and the comments smile

Thanks again guys! I will have to take a close look at those cable ends because there is not enough tension to completely disengage the pedal/switch.

Sonny

I have never adjusted anything related to the parking brake, but the rear shoes once in awhile when my pedal get's too low. Adjusting the rear shoes changes the downward travel of the parking brake significantly. I use my parking brake often. One or more of your cables may be binding and needs to be cleaned and lubricated to free it or them up. These are 40+ years old vehicles!

Bruce

I have never adjusted anything related to the parking brake, but the rear shoes once in awhile when my pedal get's too low. Adjusting the rear shoes changes the downward travel of the parking brake significantly. I use my parking brake often. One or more of your cables may be binding and needs to be cleaned and lubricated to free it or them up. These are 40+ years old vehicles!

Bruce

ditto

there is a adjuster under the car, after adjusting the rear brakes if they still need more adjusting, use the one under the car near the rear of the transmission