Gas tank question

cbolt

I am trying to order a new tank and sending unit and noticed that there are many different options to choose from. Does anyone know which one would go in the '72 or guide me in determining which one is in my car without dropping the tank? I would like to keep my car on the road as long as possible and still get the correct parts on order, if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

I am trying to order a new tank and sending unit and noticed that there are many different options to choose from. Does anyone know which one would go in the '72 or guide me in determining which one is in my car without dropping the tank? I would like to keep my car on the road as long as possible and still get the correct parts on order, if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

I was reading up on this on another thread and on line basically it matters how many vent hoses and lines come out of your tank. The CA models had the charcoal cannister and had more and some only had 2? I am not sure in 72 if all the newer emissions were in place so your best bet first is to count the vent or lines going into your tank and start from there. Even someone with another 72 may have different depending on where it was built and for which state?

I am sure the guru's will be along to assist you better just the info I've collected so far on that points to crawl under and LOOK to be sure before ordering.

Hope that helps any?

Regards

Scott

When I dropped the tank in an old parts car I had it had a couple vent returns on the sides and one supply and one return on the sending unit IIRC.

Steve

My car was equipped with a charcoal canister when I found it and still has it, but it is not hooked up. Would that matter? I will definitely crawl under it in the morning and count lines but I am thinking the only way to be sure I am getting the correct part is to remove the old one first. Thanks Scott and Steve!

My 72 (non-CA) has the supply and return from the sending unit, and then it has 3 vent lines that go to a separator. One other line from the separator is the line that runs up the to charcoal canister at the front of the car. The separator is mounted behind the back seat to the floor, and the lines come out of it through the floor above the rear axle of the car. The purpose of all that is emission control so gas fumes get re-burnt instead going out in the atmosphere.

You'll probably need to just get under the car to make sure what you have. You don't need to pull the tank to tell what you have, as far as I know. If you're never going to hook up the canister, you wouldn't need the tank with the vent lines in it. If it was me, I would probably put in what it had in it, in case I wanted to put it back to stock. I have mine all hooked up under the car, with the line plugged that goes up the canister, as I don't have it on anymore. Also, the gas cap should match what system you are using, like a vented cap for no emission control, but if the vent lines and canister are all hooked up, then it should be non-vented.

It is my understanding that the 72 system with the separator and charcoal canister was also on 70's and 71's sold in California.

Here is a picture of the tank with the vents and the separator. The picture doesn't show the supply fuel line to the fuel pump, this is just the emission ("ECS") system.

002.jpg

Yea, I have the one with three vents and no return on the sending unit. Now the question is, which provides better rust prevention, galvanized or zinc plated? Anyone have any knowledge in this area?