Heater Core Bypass

UncleJ

It has been a long time since I have done this but I think all you would have to do is disconnect both of the lines at the heater core and use a nipple and clamps to join the two lines together. There may be a simpler way but without looking under the hood I could not offer up anything else right now.

rob

Rob is correct. Take the 2 hoses that run the firewall one is an inlet the other outlet that runs coolant through the heater core. Take both lines off after you drain some fluid so you don't spill it all over the engine. Get a piece of cooper pipe if you have 1/2 laying around. OR got to hardware store and get a water hose splice plastic connector and attach the 2 together with this using good hose clamps. Make sure they are tight. This will bypass the heater core till you can get it fixed/replaced.

Also if you can get a couple of CAPS to go over the ends of the heater core on the fire wall so nothing leaks out. Also helpful when you do go to remove the old heater core so it does not leak all over the interior.

As well when installing NEW heater core it is a good idea to PRE FILL it with coolant mixture and cap off the tubes prior to installation. Not FULL FULL but 3/4 as it will help with getting rid of any air pockets in the system when you refill the coolant and run the car to expel air in the system.

If I had pics of what I was talking about I'd post them but it's been so long since I did it last time don't have any. If someone else knows the diameter of the hoses can let you know the size of pipe you need as the jointer between them.

Good luck hope that helps at all.

Scott