What the heck?

cny first gen 71

Working on my 71 Monte, Remove starter found selonide loose so I took it all apart cleaned everything up and put it back together turned over fine after. Replaced the alt. today with a summit direct fit chrome alt no problems with the fit everything went fine. Got it all hooked back up and got a spark from the neg. terminal of the battery, started it up and it was fine gen. light now off starter disengaged fine. It was in the garage with the door shut so I didnt want to run it long when I turned the key off it kept running. Disconnected the battery and it kept running I had to take air cleaner off and choke the carb to stall it. Any ideas why this is happening anyone? confused

Could check if the R terminal wire on the starter (smaller, usually yellow) is touching the battery cable post, or those wires are touching or pinched. If battery voltage was touching the R terminal wire ...there would be 12V at the coil all the time and it would not shut off. (the R terminal is only to supply 12v to coil when cranking)

Mike you were very close, no wires touching but I did find out that when I tightened the r terminal it must have turned a bit. I pulled the starter back our and found the terminal loose and turning, must have been laying up against the hot terminal causing the problem. Put a new selonide in and the problem is gone. thanks for the advice I have never seen that happen before. As long as the weather holds out tomorrow I will have it out, not to drive but to get it moved around in the garage and tackle some other stuff. Thanks again.