prep before paint

jacob

I am restoring my dads 1993 truck I have already primed it and filled most of the dents with bondo. I have wet sanded It with 2000 grit It's smooth but Is that the right grit for painting. Also we will be using duplicolors laquer paint ( was on gearzs ).

Do check on the primer type. Plus 2000 grit is more used for color sanding and buffing after paint. Normally 400 grit for soild colors and 600 for metallics at that is not normal for urethane paints.

I would probably go with a 400 or 600 wet before spraying. Remember Lacquer paint is very thin and does not have much build so it will take several coats IIRC. Maybe some of the others with more painting experience can chime in on this.

Sorry I didn't back to you sooner on this.

Back in the day we wet sanded with 400 and then painted. The 400 gave the paint a few grooves to stick to. After the paint dried we would wet sand with 600 before rubbing it out or putting clear on it. The only things that got clear were the more expensive jobs because you spry on two or three coats of clear and sand it again and then more clear. I had always heard about cars getting 20 to 30 coats of clear but realized that they never ended up with that much clear because you sanded between every tow to three cats to get a super smooth finish and deep shine.

could you sand the clear coat with 2000 and then use a polisher to polish it? would that give you the same results? And what kind of polish do you use for polishing after painting?

Wizards, Mequiers and 3M all make a couple of good rubbing compounds. According to how smooth the finish is after sanding with 1500 or what ever you use depends a lot on how much of a cut you need from your compound.

I used 800 wet on the primer and then 1500 wet and 2000 wet then buffed with mequires med cut than fine cut with a wool bonnet then swirl free polish with a foam bonnet. Base coat clear coat ppg. This is a shot under the lights no flash inside the garage.

IMG_0515.jpg

I will be doing some wet sanding sanded half the truck with 400 grit and I am getting the paint and clear coat for this weekend. So by monday it should be painted unless Its raining or something.