Where can I find a 70 brakelight switch retainer?

MC1970U

My brakelight switch is held in place by a retainer/clip/sleeve type thingy and not by nuts. Does anyone know where I can source one of those clips or do you guys just install nuts when that clip goes?

I have looked all over the net and come up short on the part.

Thanks,

Sonny

A good auto parts store with a parts section called "HELP" has it. I just recently changed mine and found it there. They have a lot or small parts, clips and things that break or wear out.

Hey Sonny, If it's that small round retainer tube that you are looking for, then you can hit any wrecker and find a GM or Pontiac back from basically 64 to 77 I believe like the chevelle , cutlass, buick, lemans as they all used the same brake pedal and had the same retainer clip but make sure to grab the brake one and not The cruise control one that will be right beside it if the car has it as they are smaller in size and will fall through the hole....'

Darren.

The clip is kind of like a tube with a flange at one end and three small tangs for catching the sides, so it wont back out, once you push it through the hole. At the other end of the tube/clip thingy it has three gripping type of arms/claws for gripping the threaded portion of the switch.

I didn’t realize there would be a difference between the standard switch and switch w/cruise. Mine has cruise. I would think if I found one in a wrecking yard it would probably be as delicate as the damaged one I have and need a replacement for.

By the looks of mine I would have guessed this to be a common problem?

Thanks for the suggestions and help,

Sonny

The brake switch with cruise has an extra set of terminals for part of the cruise wiring to plug to but he is talking about a seperate vacuum switch mounted above the brake switch. Since you have cruise, you can look in your car and see both switches. Not many came with cruise.