Another core support question,1971

bgl0b6

Not all small block cars got the core support with the smaller opening. Only the non-AC small block cars had the core support with the smaller opening. A small block car with AC had the same core support as a big block. Are you sure you have the one with the smaller opening?

If in fact you have the support with the smaller opening, the larger radiator should sit in the cradle at the bottom as the cradle can accommodate both rads. The problem will be with the top plate that holds the rad in place. The top plate for the small rad will not fit the larger rad. You would need to get the longer top plate and modify the support so you can bolt it down. The fan shroud is also different as the square opening on the one for the larger rad is about an inch or two wider. the rad support for the smaller rad could be modified to bolt up the to larger rad top plate.

The small block was an A/C so I am guessing the 4 core will fit,I have read about the differences in the shroud,as of right now to get it going I have an electric fan set up but once I get going I will have to find a BB shroud.I am at this point just trying to get all my ducks in a row so that when I get to putting things together I am ready and not going to find many suprizes.I do have the top support from the 4 core,it was in an Impala,looks like it will work,again thanks for your input....Mike

I hear you there Larry,it has been 30+ years since I did this type of project.I knew that there would be much more than I anticipated in this project,but it seems each thing I touch 4 more need attention.That is what is so great about this forum,no mater what I plan some one here has done it before and is willing to help.....Mike