Rear brake drums

I am putting a 12 bolt in the 1971 Monte. The old 10 bolt 2.73 is being retired. Wanting to replace the rear drums and there are two types: safe to assume the cheaper ones which are labeled "Pontiac style" are not the ones I need. Correct?

Yes there is 2 types. Most 10 bolts were 9" brake pad and drum set ups and 12 bolt were all 11" set ups. Most parts places may ask you this question is it 9 inch pads or 11 inch ones, thats what they are meaning, plus as rare as it is and if you are an OEM Freak like me you can still find true aluminum drums out there..

Darren.

Yes dont go with pontiac ones they are a larger exterior diameter and look way different of a finish then ours, try to find Finned drums rather than smooth Bowl style as the Finned ones help cool the brakes when being applied and to dicipitate the heat more even.

Not really true, I have a factory 12 bolt in mine and it has the 9.5 inch drums, in fact I don't remember seeing the 11.5 inch drums from the factory on any A body, only the full size cars got the 11.5 inch brakes and even then I have seen the 9 inchers on alot of Impalas and Caprices from our era. I also checked Rock Auto and they didn't list a 11 inch option for shoes, just the drums.