Nightmare!!!

raceking46

trying to rebuild my rearend. Its an 8.2 10 bolt and i'm having nothing but trouble. bought a posi unit on ebay wrong size ring gear bolt holes. bought a bearing kit for 8.2 and the shims aren't right and neither are the pinion seal or nut. I bought the chevy stuff not the BOP so I'm not sure what the issue is here unless someone put a BOP 8.2 in my car b4 I got it.

My car has the BOP rear and it came from the factory w/it....its even on my build sheet....pricey to overhaul but strong...Mines doing fine behind my big cubed small block so far.

i don't know how to tell the difference. Does the BOP have the axle bearings pressed on the axles cuz mine does and the ring gear bolts are 7/16 left hand thread.

I'm rebuilding my chevy 10 bolt 8.2" rear end. I'm by no means a Buick Olds Pontiac read end expert, but I ran accross a thread linky that talks about the differences between the BOP and chevy rear end 10 bolts. Hopefully it can help you.

Good luck.

Yes, if your axle bearings are pressed on (not a c-clip rear) then you have a BOP rear. In 1969 (I think) the BOP rear changed ring gear bolt sizes. I had a 69 Lemans some time ago, and I had that posi carrier vs ring gear bolt size problem. Chevrolet did put those in Monte's for some reason from the factory as other people have pointed out.

Do you have the casting number from the axle housing? Or pictures?