Stainless Steel Molding...Can it be straigtened?

Jared Richey

I have always heard that the stainless around the windows can be straightened.

Well I know where 2, yes 2 sets of Halo Top molding is in a huge junkyard around 80 miles from me. Well thats another story in itself, but would it be worth getting the Halo Top Molding sets if the price was right, if the peices that had a few dents could be straightened.

Or are they no bringing it back?

The dents aren't to severe, but can it be straightened?

Any ideas before I get the molding.

Jared wink

Stainless can be worked with. Small anvil, lead shot bag & light hammers with lots of care. Stainlees can also be buffed & polished.

One of them things with lots of practice Im sure you can get good at it. I have a book on it and some small hammers and anvils for it, not great at it yet, but working on it. You can actually block sand out quite a bit on stainless, as long as you get it fairly straight to begin with, it does polish up fairly easily Ive noticed

Tony

So is it worth getting the Halo top moldings off of those 2 70s, since they are so rare, if someone can straighen the molding?

If the price is right....

Jared smile

Yes sir ree buddy .. friend of mine in Durham NC does super work, Ricky ... He owns a Classic Ford parts business. I took all the stainless off my son's 1962 Cutlass .. 22 pieces and he was able to make it all look great (about $700.00). The key is to find virgin parts that have never been reworked before. That assures him that in most cases there is sufficient material left to file out the defects and polish it back to like new condition ... He's always at the Charloete shows under the vendor name Carolina Classic's. He cannot give you a price without looking at each piece. Don't trust anyone that tells you anything otherwise. From my experiece, a reworked OEM piece of stainless is 200% better than a reproduction !! A lot of the repro stuff DOES NOT FIT WORTH A @#$%^^^&.

Tell Ricky that Shoaf sent you ....

thats a tough question , i will sell a dent free hand picked set for 150.00 , now depending on the piece and how much work it needs is the question you can spend 150.00 real quick getting mouldings straightened , now if the piece is rare i would say have it done but at this time i dont feel the vinyl top pieces are rare

Leo

thats a tough question , i will sell a dent free hand picked set for 150.00 , now depending on the piece and how much work it needs is the question you can spend 150.00 real quick getting mouldings straightened , now if the piece is rare i would say have it done but at this time i dont feel the vinyl top pieces are rare

Leo

Thanks Leo. So if the price is right is the HALO sets worth buying, I mean what can you sale a set of HALO molding for in the present condition these are in?

They have dents on the Hard to find front peice near winsheid, both sets. So about what are these worth?

Jared

Jared i have never had any luck selling dented pieces , i just have a ton of these from a liftime of collecting most of my dented trim goes to the scrapper to build Toyotas

Leo