How far to go with a 454

Packratt

Well after a year of searching I finally found a good machine shop just 45 minutes from me. One of my local mechanic/racer friends refered me to him and gave him high marks on workmanship. He will clean/check block,check line bore, bore and torque plate hone cylinders,and install freeze plugs and cam bearings for under $500.00. Main thing is I need to be patient because he works by himself and it takes him about three weeks to do everything.

I talked to the guy on the phone a long time about what my plans are. The one thing i'm undecided on is final bore and stroke and displacement. I told him I was thinking 496 but didn't want to get the block too thin. We agreed I needed to bring him the block to be sonic checked and see what will work.

I need some opinions on this so here is what I have:

1975 454 low deck truck block.

Stock bore, stock rods and crank

I'm looking for a cruiser street motor that will push the monte down the road pretty good. I'm looking at forged Skat or Eagle stroker kits. The tranny is a turbo 400 and will have a GV overdrive and 3:70 gears.At one time I was thinking about a procharger but decided to put that money else where in the car. I have not decided whether to use the iron heads or go alum yet. I was to use a Voodoo or Thumper roller cam but will decide those specs when I finalize the head decision.

After struggling to pay off or down debt I should be able to turn my attention back to the Monte by the end of June and CAN NOT WAIT! lol Any opinions will help if you have one let me know smile

If you can swing aluminum heads, it will have some nice weight savings on the nose of that beast. It may even be cheaper than investing all that machine work in the old heads.

Hey there,

I just went through the Exact same thing.. Crazy Davey on here and his friend Dal helped me out tremendously. They are really great people. To make a long story short I went with a Roller Cam and lifters, which is more money up front but I belive well worth it. I had 781 Oval heads with Large Valves. Instead of putting more money into them ,and looking everywhere at aluminum heads. I bought the Bare Brodix Race Rite Heads from Summit Belive they are BRO-2060000. They are cheaper at summit by quite a bit vs Jegs when I purchased them. My car is a streed car. 454 / th-400/ 373 rear end.. Good Luck