oil problem

Donny vestal

First, let me say you live in my most favorite area of the country. Lived in Greenville, SC for 5 years and vacation in Pigeon Forge.

With that said sounds like you are concerned about the smoke. I have had the same and there short and long answers. Many possibilities here's a few of my personal experiences.

1). Valve seals. Even on a new GM crate engine, my seals were junk and blew smoke when I would start it or get on it. On rebuilt heads I have seen them smoke too. Not all rebuilt heads from machine shops are done right as "head" guys are really picky and good.

2). Rings not set in yet / or correctly and oil getting past them.

More info about the engine would help diagnose. I rebuilt mine, changed the heads and cam which changed the fuel requirement. The carb jets were way too big for the new set up so the rings did not wear in properly due to the fuel on the cylinders walls causing oil consumption. Have you had someone follow you to confirm it occurs when you put your foot in it or when you let it off. How much oil are you burning over distance? Have you had the engine tuned after the rebuilt on a tuning dyno? At about $70 it is well worth it. Will confirm your fuel mixture and timing is good at a variety of speeds.

$70 for a Dyno tuning??? Wish I lived where you do... they charge us $300 out here...

Actually the full story is even more unbelievable. I don't want to hijack this thread so I started a separate one, Link to my Tune up Dyno Experience . If costs are $300 where you are, this might be worth the drive as you are relatively close.

ZCould also be sucking oil through the PCV valve, are your covers baffled?
yea my covers are baffeled.and when it idles the pvc sound like you've got in your hand shaking it.thanks for the ideas