drive shaft part# and stripes

DRDIRT11

Has anyone here ever done there driveshaft correct. I was getting ready to paint mine with stainless steel paint so it will look correct natural metal. I can barely read my part# and see where stripes were. I can figure out color of stripes from build sheet but cant quite make out complete part#. I think it is 386740. 402/400 turbo car. anyone know what the part # is for sure?

According to a July 1972 printing date parts book:

1970-1972 Monte 400 4-bbl TH400 is Part # 3949163,

That said, sometimes a part will have a "part number" that is different from it's "casting" number. So, if you ordered a 3949163 the package might have that number on it and the part could be stamped 386740. I looked up 386740 in the numerical cross reference and that number is not there. Hope this helps.

Joseph, What GM Plant was your Monte made at ??? as GM used different paint stripes for different Plants... Yes that does sound weird but I have a Huge list of GM plants and it shows different strip colors for the year and the amount for the shafts and the width of the stripes too.....

here is a small example that I just cut and pasted for now.

An Arlington driveshaft stripe set was measured as such:

Stripe #1 - 9.5-in from weld behind front U-joint and 5/8-in wide (first color)

Stripe #2 - 1/4-in from stripe #1 and 1/4-in to 5/16-in wide (second color)

Stripe #3 - 1/4-in from stripe #2 and 5/8-in wide (first color)

An Oshawa driveshaft stripe set was measured as such:

Stripe #1 - 17 3/4-in from weld behind front U-joint and 1/4-in wide

Stripe #2 - 1/2-in from stripe #1 and 1/4-in wide

Stripe #3 - 1/2-in from stripe #2 and 1/4-in wide

And also some of the colors for example at the Lakewood Plant in Atlanta...

M38

Blue-Black

M22

Pink-Blue

M40

Green-Orange

Darren.

Hey Shawn it shows Pink and Blue for the SS 454 LS-5 car in Van Nuys and Joseph's to be Blue and Black for a TH400 and Brown and Pink for TH350 cars... Maybe that BK Joseph is suppose to be a PK

????

Darren.