A/C Question?

I have been running my car (72 Monte) for the past 5 years without the A/C working. This year was determined to have that problem fixed and was.

With the A/C on I understand there is a selenoid that attaches to the Card that when A/C is activated, the selenoid engages allowing throttle to maintain RPM. As it is now, when A/C is on, the load causes engine to loose RPM.

I looked up the A/C schematic but getting lost as to the location wiring would attach to selenoid. I am guessing that wire connection would come from the same green wire that plugs into the Compressor Pump but can't determine this as fact as there doesn't seem to be a available wire.

Pic identifies where I believe selenoid wire shoud come from where circled.

ACWIRING.jpg

Also, anyone have a pic(s) showing the selenoid at Carb I can study?

Any help with this appreciated.

Doug

I looked at a 72 yesterday and the wire going to the solenoid was yellow and ran along the inside of the drivers side valve cover from the firewall. I am getting ready to reinstall my AC for the trip to the Eastern Meet in GA. so I have been checking out every Monte Chevelle that has I come across.

Appreciate the info Larry. Been looking at schematics but haven't been able to isolate wire origin to solenoid as yet. Not very well versed on reading these schematics and unsure how this solenoid is described in diagram(s). Closest I came is a Idle Switch location and wire is Pink.

Looked at some pic's I have kept in my photo program and as I have never had this device on my car was unsure where/how the solenoid was mounted. I saw a few pic's that were clear enough to know where/how was mounted but couldn't pick out the wire running to solenoid.

Still looking!

Doug

just looked at mine- I had cut wire and then re-installed my A/C. The splice was buried in the main wire harness but my schematic says it's tan 20 g. Carefully cut or peel back the tape on main harness just below and to the left of the wiper motor. I converted to a Holley carb some time ago so needed the correct solenoid and bracket. Ordered it from Holley. Don't have p/n but they will know exactly what you'll need.

Good luck.

Carl

Thank you much Carl,

I'll fish it out and go from there. Have a Eddy 4 bbl Carb & will find compatible solenoid & bracket if there is one.

I saw a Tan wire in schematic that I kept focusing on. Will revisit and see if it was the one I needed to find. May still be different as I can't remember what ga. wire it was.

Thanks again Carl. I'm sure my wire is buried in that Harness.

Have a GREAT day,

Doug