Need longer wheel studs what size knurl?

dbreese

Thanks Mike,

Found out through some digging that factory knurl dia was .472-.479. I picked up some moroso studs that are .480.

We will see how that works. .006 might be to much I'll just have to see. You are running 1/2" studs up front? WOW. Course I don't have a big block and my car doesn't hike the front wheels two feet in the air!! lol I should be good.

David

David, your fact finding expedition resulted in some correct info. I always used .475 and never had an issue with pressing them in. Friendly advice,.. DO NOT hammer them into place. The proper way is to press them in. It is also NOT a good idea to get the stud started by tapping them partially in and then useing the old "couple washers and a nut" to draw it in the rest of the way or to seat them. I know some do it that way but that doesn't make it the correct way to perform the task. You will be asking for trouble.

Also, keep in mind, if you ever go the "performance rotor" route, most likely the hole diameter for the stud will be larger in order to accept a 1/2" stud (ie. the knurl will be something like a .560). This is what happened to me. My "drilled and slotted" rotors had larger knurled 7/16" stud. When I changed my rims, I needed a longer stud. So I pressed out the original stud, measured the diameter of the knurl and ordered from there. With the larger knurl, you can decide if you want the 7/16" or 1/2" threaded stud. Good luck with the install. - Dave

it's racing..it's supposed to give you fits.... grin

Yes racing does give you fits but that is half the fun, working the problem.

Headed out Fri to do some T&T with my friends wagon. Looking to find that sweet spot in the beams. Hopefully I'll get figured out and go more rounds at the next Summit event. The car is deadly, the driver, not so much!! lol

David

well when you figure them out you can come out and drive mine....the lights at Woodburn are giving me nightmares.....a TNT would be good, it's hard to push them in elimins.....

If I'm ever out on the west coast (which with my line of work could happen) I would take you up on the offer to drive that Velle. Course if you changed your mind I would totally understand. grin I would love to see the car in person and see ya makes some passes.

David

hey just let me know, if you need a place to stay we have plenty of room too. We could probably sneak you in there for a pass or put the stop on and slow it down a bit if you want to be legal...hell we could use it to license you if you wanted to get one.... wink

• 2 weeks later...

Ok update on the Knurl size. The Moroso's were way to small. The rotors I have on the car are the one's that have been on it for years( Since at least 93'). I'm sure they have been replaced prior to me restoring the car. Long story short had to go with ARP 7/16"x 3" (20 thread) with a .580 knurl. Used a press and those suckers ain't going no where. Just FYI

Dave that would be awesome. I really like that part of the US. The Monte will never be a 9.99 ride but I would like to license cause my retirement project is gonna be a FED. I want to do some nostalgia stuff an run Pro/Super Pro. First I have to make it to retirement!LOL grin

David

Good Gosh Man!!!!! 139 mph. That Velle is just stupid fast! Great job. Did you do some tuning or has air gotten better?

Yep, I wear the vest every day I would never every get out on a warrant service without it. Heck I wear my gear when just conducting interviews. Ya never know!

David

Good Gosh Man!!!!! 139 mph. That Velle is just stupid fast! Great job. Did you do some tuning or has air gotten better?

Yep, I wear the vest every day I would never every get out on a warrant service without it. Heck I wear my gear when just conducting interviews. Ya never know!

David

good man....can't get complacent in your line of work...

no tuning really other that playing with suspension settings and launch rpm's...I just put fuel in it and charge the battery...Scott set it up pretty tight...maybe it's getting broken in... wink