How often do you racers change your plugs?

Monteman1971

So we typically go to the track twice a year, once in July and then again in September/October.

I've typically changed my plugs each time I've gone but someone told me that if your plugs aren't real old and the car is running right (nice golden brown plugs)that I should be good for at least the season without changing them?

So what's your opinion?

Steve

Hey Steve,

I just check mine every so often. If you carb tune and timing are good and based on what you have described the porcelin is a light to med tan I think your good. I'm guessing I have 2500 miles on my plugs and a bunch of passes and my plugs look fine.

David

Steve.

on the monte i change them before i go to the track and leave them in for the weekend if there were no issues. on the camaro, we change plugs after each run to read what's going on in the cylinders. 1400hp plus 400hp shot of nitrous, need to know what the engine is doing.

thanh

I must be a slacker, I don't have a problem going a year at least on a set of plugs. With as little miles as they get on them, I don't see a reason to change them. You can take them out and look at them, but I would reuse them if the edges are still nice and sharp and there was not a bunch of cr ap on them!