Rear Lower shock Mount

Just installing the new rear shocks (KYB) They come with new lower mounts but as I was installing the first mount to the differential, I got to about 45 ft.lbs of torque and the nut stripped the mount threads, was a major pain to get off mad. The book calls for 55 to 75 ft.lbs. Either my torque wrench is out of calibration by about 100% (unlikely) or this part is a piece of junk or POS (odd as they are made in Japan, not China) or I don't know what's going on. Any ideas? Now I have to go to the auto parts store and see about getting some replacements but I'm a bit concerned this will happen again if I'm doing something wrong.

Rob,

Thanks, by "never torque mine" I assume you mean just tighten them by hand without a torque wrench. I guess my philosophy has been to use proper torques whenever possible. In this case I don't understand why this kind of part would fail before the minimum torque value. It's nice to know that I may not have to worry about it too much. Just got to get my hands on a new part.

• 1 month later...

We used to tighten them down with an air gun in the shop, I have done hundreds of them that way and the only ones there have ever been a problem with were screwed up before they were put on. They can take a lot of torque. I may have a lower mount if you cant find one but I would have to check. I used to keep a lot of spare parts.

Are you talking about the lower mounting bolts??? Dont tighten the lower bolts with the rear end hanging. Support rear end or lower on ground before tighting.Torque is not nessasary on this application,put the car on the ground or jack stand under rear end,take all the hanging weight off the rear end,install bolts and zap with a impact..