Headlight Switch....

LostnFound

I replaced my headlight knob last weekend and now my dash lights don't work so I'm pretty sure it is my headlight switch in need of replacing. My question is this. When searching for the correct replacement part, two versions are being shown....a 7 prong and an 8 prong. Does anyone know which is the correct one for a 71 SS?

Thanks,

Larry

Hey Larry just a quick note, we have in the past had this question come up quite a bit but didnt get into it with you there last night in the Shout Box but the quicky would be to pull old switch and count the Tongues that are visible then that will give the count you need. They do use both in our cars.... Sorry gotta go am at work and snuck on here

Darren..

My guess is 7.

Thanks Darren and Bruce. I purchased both headlight switches today from Carquest...the 7 prong and the 8 prong. They said to just return the unused one for a full refund and were great to deal with. I removed my headlight switch tonight and it was the 7 prong so I installed the new one. The bad news is that replacing the switch did nothing to light up my gauge lights. The only thing that I can think of is that I further disturbed the copper circuit on the back of the gauge cluster. Anyone here have to deal with that in the past? Is it a difficult task or should I let a pro do it? Should I throw money at it?

Thanks for any and all input?

Larry did you turn the head light knob all the towards the drivers door? I know the stock 194 bulbs were not bright in my Monte even went to a brighter replacement bulb but the effect was the same. As for the PCB you'll have to remove the dash to change that.

Did you verify power at both ends of the fuse? You must have the headlight switch pulled out to get power to even one side.

I am having the same issue with no lights in my gauges. I believe I don't have it grounded correctly and can't get to it until this weekend. One thing is I don't get any reading from my fuse...what could cause this? Not grounded correctly?

Wow...ended up that it was just the fuse. It was the first thing I thought of and changed but I either damaged the new one putting it in, installed a new but faulty fuse or it blew for some reason when I installed it. Anyway, my dash lights are now working again thank goodness. smile

Cheers,

Larry

Good to hear! Many many times it's a fuse (you can't just LOOK at them) or poor ground when it comes to electrical issues.

Bruce