71 SS rear bumper.....

LostnFound

A few questions....

Can anyone post some clear pics from several angles of their correct 71 SS rear bumper showing the rubber strip?

Was the bumper itself different than the regular 71 bumper other than the holes for the strip?

Does anyone have a 71 SS rear bumper that they are willing to sell?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

I just called the Parts Place for you. They have one left. The Company that made them went out of business. $599.00. He also said someone just called and asked for the same part. Was that you. Maybe someone has a good picture with the dimensions and a side view. Maybe it could be made. I also would use double face tape to install it. That would be if it is home made. Their is a lot of talent on this site. I'm sure it is worth the effort. I'm in.

Carl

Hey Carl...thanks Man...and yes, that was me that called the Parts Place and it is an NOS part. The last 20 minutes they've been hitting me with a defibrillator here at the office trying to get my heart going again after I heard that $599 price tag. LOL

I wish I had an old one to actually look at and I'm sure we could make something close. I've learned that, other than the holes, the SS bumper is the same as the non-SS. With some good adhesive, we wouldn't even need to drill the bumpers and nobody would know by just looking at it.

Larry, If your bumper has the rear guards like you front does that would still make it correct for a SS. I'm sure you knew that. Lets stay on the subject and see if it could be made . I made the hockey stick mouldings out of the regular ones. Just need to cut off the flange and heat them a little to form the new radius and use double face tape to install them. I have not installed them yet. My 71 is not a SS. Just playing around.

I got nervous when I read defibrillator. That was funny.

Carl

Thanks Carl. You rock!

I have confirmed through G.M. Head Office what has been said on this site about the 71 SS.

The 71 SS was available with front bumper guards but not back due to the standard rear bumper black strip that we are now discussing. I wish I had an original piece of rear bumper trim to use as an example.

Thanks for the tip re. the hockey stick trim...it makes sense. smile

Cheers,

Larry