Painting/Dyeing Plastic Trim Pieces

rroobble

Mine were brown tan and painted black. I do not know what the owner at that used but the need redone badly. They are all scratched up and look nasty. SEM has a product that we sell and Anderson Automotive Color that has worked pretty good by the reports we have gotten back from previous users.

SEM products work nice. I used RM brand automotive paint on mine. Clean them thoroughly then clean again. I scuffed mine very good and used an adhesion promoter. I will say the one time I used SEM without any sealer underneath on a customers car I wasn't very happy with the results, it seemed to scrape off fairly easily. There is pictures posted on the link iny signature. Also on the seat backs I know ther are usually gouged up pretty bad, I found a textured rocker panel chip guard aerosol spray and sprayed the seat backs with them.

I used the SEM products to change my interior from green to blue and have no complaints. I think a member here suggested cleaning everything really good with simple green first, which I did, and have had no issues with chipping or peeling on any of the parts I sprayed. I did the "conversion" about 3 years ago and it still looks fresh.

Surface preparation on any paint dye is of the utmost importance. The cleaner the better the end result is most of the time. The adhesion promoter is also a pretty important step.

I did the same thing, just touching up the colors. I went to Menards and in the paint section they had a spray can of plastic adhesion primer. I just cleaned the part with acetone, sprayed the plastic adhesion primer, then top coated it. Turned out very well.