Friends magazine SS454 article.

70mcarlo

From the June 1970 issue of Friends magazine:

FriendsJune1970page16.jpg

FriendsJune1970page17.jpg

FriendsJune1970page18.jpg

While the article tends to "hype" the luxury aspect of the new Monte Carlo, I think it also gives one a sense of how unique the styling was at the time - the car really stood out!

The 1970 Camaro also was also a bold move for Chevrolet styling, but it was a half-year introduction and came out later.

Good read. Not familiar with Friends magazine, but the article was missing all the car-guy meat: specs, performance, tech stuff. But then again, Friends readers could probably care less.

Thanks for sharing!

And I'm going to bring back the saying "sawbuck"............

...it also gives one a sense of how unique the styling was at the time - the car really stood out!

The 1970 Camaro also was also a bold move for Chevrolet styling, but it was a half-year introduction and came out later.

Chevrolet's head of styling at the time was the late David Holls. In the excellent and very informative book, Chevrolet SS by Robert Genat, there are quite a few commentaries by Mr. Holls about the cars and how their designs came about.

Various individuals in the department came up with design proposals for the Monte Carlo (which was given the "green light" as a program in early '68), and David Holls said he chose the design created by a talented young designer by the name of Terry Henline because he felt it was the best. Creating the new model from the existing Chevelle was done to keep it cost-effective, and being that Mr. Henline wanted it to have the long hood/short rear deck proportions of the ponycars, they decided to use the slightly longer wheelbase of the '68 Chevelle 4-door (116") vs. the 2-door's (112"). 1964-67 Chevelles (both 2-doors and 4-doors), had all been built on a 115" wheelbase. When presented, the Chevrolet big-wigs loved the design and they bought it "hook, line, and sinker" according to Mr. Holls - without requesting any revisions!

Larry (LEGHOME) is right about the Friends magazine. I recall seeing one somewhere before, and believe it was a Chevrolet publication that was sent to new owners of Chevys back in the day. Ford had a similar publication, Ford Times, that my dad received for a while after purchasing our family's new '71 LTD when I was a little guy. I believe both publications were similar in format to Reader's Digest magazine, and in addition to simple articles about their respective brand's car models they also included things like short stories, vacation destination articles, recipes, etc.

Thanks for posting that article, Bob!

smile

Dave