Pro Systems SV1 Carb

680HPStroker

Yesterday I got wind of Pro sytems SV1 carb. For all of us big cubic inch motor guys both small and big block that have big power these carbs look as though they are the ticket to no longer having to deal with all the issues associated traditional 4 barrel carbs. A mechanic I just hooked up with who is going to put my axle seal issue to bed once and for all swears by this carb. He has installed and tuned a good number of them and knows several racers and big power street guys that have them and they all love them. At $1,200.00 a piece their pricey, but if you have already spent &700.00, or more on a conventional style carb and are still playing with it to get it right the money spent might be well worth it to basically set it once and be done with it. I'm going to start saving my pennies and get one. It will solve all my idle and annual plug fouling issues in one shot. After hearing this and the prospect of having my rearend fixed for good I'm actually getting interested in my car again. This year with all the rain I've mostly been riding the piss out of my Triumph Rocket III bike. Peace.

Greg,

I have a friend that runs one on a big inch pontiac engine. I'm almost certain that he did an A/B comparison on the engine dyno and the track between it and the dominator and it did pick it up. He really likes it.

He took part in Drag Week 2012 and the car (69 Firebird) went a best of 9.64 at around 136-137 mph. Drove on the road just fine up until day 3. Valve train problems got him and he had to drop out.

I'll get with him and get some numbers for you.

David

Those carbs are really making some impressive showings for sure. Although I have a Pro-Systems 4150 and have had no issues at all with it, but even Patrick says the SV1 is even better.

Greg most guys I know who have bought them recently have gotten an offer from Patrict that if they don't like it he'll exchange it for one of his prep'd Dominators....I know of one guy who took him up on that offer...the early ones were known for being tricky to tune for the street but supposedly they are better now...they are supposed to have great throttle response but guys running them at the track have not seen any huge gains over a well prep'd Dominator...

That's good to know Davey. I wan't going mention it here as I was having an off line discussion with David Breese, but Pro-Systems responded to my post by saying that I don't make enough HP for them to help me and they didn't even offer to do anything to my carb, or offer to sell me one of there standard Holley design carbs. They said that currently they aren't building SV1's any smaller than 1,100CFM and you need a minimum of 700HP to use one. The guy who is working on my axle seal issue stated that he has a friend who bought a SV1 in 1,050CFM a while back to put on a 505 street/strip motor he had built, but never actually got it all together and is now selling the carb NIB for $900,00 . Brian at the shop says he might just buy it and test on one of his big power ford motors. We even discussed testing it on my motor as the 505 isn't built much different than my 489, but I opted to just let him play with my carb for now because as company I'm not all that impressed with the Pro-Systems customer service and I haven't even bought anything from them yet and they chased me away.

when I contacted them about upgrading my current PS 4150 carb they offered the 1100 SV1 and it was kind of end of discussion. I wanted to chat about it but I guess they didn't. They make great stuff but there seems to be an attitude that wasn't there 3 years ago when I bought my first 2 carbs. That 1050 sounds like one of the earlier ones so it's probably good to stay away from it. I think I'm going to give e85 a shot, I like the $3.69/gal....

when I contacted them about upgrading my current PS 4150 carb they offered the 1100 SV1 and it was kind of end of discussion. I wanted to chat about it but I guess they didn't. They make great stuff but there seems to be an attitude that wasn't there 3 years ago when I bought my first 2 carbs. That 1050 sounds like one of the earlier ones so it's probably good to stay away from it. I think I'm going to give e85 a shot, I like the $3.69/gal....

Not trying to hijack your thread Greg.....Are you serious about trying the E85 Davey? I would be curious to see how you make out......

yes Greg, I'm having a e85 1100 Dominator built. My racing pardner runs it in his 496 car and has been after me to try it. The 101 gas the car likes is soooo freaking expensive I'm hoping it will like the $3.69 stuff which has a motor octane of 105 (standard 110 is to high and the car really doesn't like it). If I get anything good out of it I'll post up the results....

yes Greg, I'm having a e85 1100 Dominator built. My racing pardner runs it in his 496 car and has been after me to try it. The 101 gas the car likes is soooo freaking expensive I'm hoping it will like the $3.69 stuff which has a motor octane of 105 (standard 110 is to high and the car really doesn't like it). If I get anything good out of it I'll post up the results....
What compression are you running? I had tossed the idea around when I redid my 496 but opted for a 10 to 1 pump motor. I converted my Subaru to E85 and it really loves it. The fuel has been pretty consistent so far in the month or so that I have been testing it. Good luck with the conversion.

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey
What compression are you running? I had tossed the idea around when I redid my 496 but opted for a 10 to 1 pump motor. I converted my Subaru to E85 and it really loves it. The fuel has been pretty consistent so far in the month or so that I have been testing it. Good luck with the conversion.

I'm running 11.4 Greg...I think most if any potential advantage to make more power is due the the colder intake charge you get from the Ethanol...my pardners car picked up quite a bit but I'm sure it depends on the car.....

Sam...I checked at the place I normally go to and with the weather getting cooler, the mix was around e75. I just went to another station and it was around e83. I did run into one of the crew that is running e85 in his turbo Porsche and he told me of another local station that has consistent e85 all year round. I am going there for the next fill up.

Davey...You are right on with what you say about the cooler charge....that def helps BIG time. I am psyched to get my new built motor in my Forester so I can turn up the boost. When will you have your new carb?

Sam...I checked at the place I normally go to and with the weather getting cooler, the mix was around e75. I just went to another station and it was around e83. I did run into one of the crew that is running e85 in his turbo Porsche and he told me of another local station that has consistent e85 all year round. I am going there for the next fill up.

Davey...You are right on with what you say about the cooler charge....that def helps BIG time. I am psyched to get my new built motor in my Forester so I can turn up the boost. When will you have your new carb?

I've got the carb Greg, just waiting for some parts we decided we want to change on it..might try it the last race this year or wait until spring...they do not change blends out here but I will test it from time to time...

Some guy I talked too that runs a 1970 Buick all steel car running mid 6 sec 1/8 miles at our local track is running E-85. Its a 455 buick engine also.

He said he has checked some of the octane of it, and it would be over 110 octane. The Pump claims 105 octane. He says his car loves it.

Which IMO if you have to run race fuel its the way to go, $3-4 a gallon is a lot better than $7.99+ for 110 race gas.

Be my luck if I tried to run it in my Red car, they would do away with Ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Mom's Car

I've got the carb Greg, just waiting for some parts we decided we want to change on it..might try it the last race this year or wait until spring...they do not change blends out here but I will test it from time to time...

I am surprised that they do not change the e85 by as you are far north. I found an interesting e85 gauge. Here is the url http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml