T 5 transmission

Sam (Bones)

I'm currently doing a T5 swap in my '87 SS, its all original, stock 305. A T5 transmission isn't the strongest thing out there, the non WC (before '88) were only rated for 280 ft. lbs of torque, while the WC ('88 & later) are rated for 300 ft. lbs. They were never installed behind a 350, 305's were its max.

now if you were to use a Tremec TKO, thats a different story.

trying to go cheap here, it's only going behind a basically stock 350 with less than 9:1 comp, didn't know where the shifter is compared to a muncie, I want a NWC because of it's first gear ratio

non WC & WC's have the same ratios, WC's just have better bearings. I just got my T5 last weekend, '92 305 Camaro, ratios are 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00, 0.63 & a 2.76 reverse. I doubt the shifter would be in the same location as a Muncie, the T5 is tilted 17 degrees to the driverside, but everything I've seen shows the shifter location being slightly off center in the transmission tunnel, not on the side like a Muncie.

I know that the 78-81 Malibus, Montes, & El Caminos had 3 & 4 speeds, their shifter location was on the side of the tunnel like a FGMC, but when doing a T5 swap in one of them, the T5 shifter goes to the top of the tunnel, under the console.

if you need any measurements from the T5, just let me know.

thank you smile

as long as the distance from the bellhousing and shifter is close I can fab up something to put in the proper location, the monte hole in the tunnel is a 4x4 hole (with bench seat) dead center too

next issue is clutch, linkage, which bell housing?

I do know that the T5 is 3" longer than a 200r4, which is the same length as a TH350. All factory T5 bell housings used a 10.5" clutch & tilted the T5 towards the driverside, I have seen a T5 installed straight up using a standard bell housing, the only problem doing it this way is the mount is tilted 17 degrees to the passenger side then. If you were to use a standard bell housing, the linkage would be the same as a Muncie. Also, if a standard bell housing was used, the shifter would be on the top, dead center of the tunnel. Hurst makes shifters for T5's, I have a Billet Plus (NIB) & just yesterday bought a Competition Plus, they are both designed for a Camaro & compensate for the 17 degree tit, so when installed they are straight. But Hurst does make one for a S-10 (T5 is not tilted) shifter base is straight.

Sam,

I just did some measuring on my T5, from the front of the transmission (not the bell housing) to the center of the shifter is 21", it starts at 19" +/- & ends at 23" +/-. The overall length of it is 24.5"

Sam,

My brother in-law sells them here in Michigan after his trans guy sets them up. The units he sells wouldn't have the strength for a powerful V8 because he get's them built for in-line sixes with much less torque. I can ask him questions if you got any.

You need to get one strong enough like from a Camaro V8 and with a mechanical Speedometer gear. Not sure on the shifter location issue.

Bruce

Bruce,this is going behind my stock 350, maybe 250 hp....maybe, it should work fine with it, ask him how much for one with no core smile

I can make a adapter for the mount,that's should be easy enough, now to check shifter dimensions of my muncie

I just want a overdrive instead of building my muncie (I'll keep it until I'm ready to sell the car)

I had to find the right bell housing for the T-5 that I put ib renes firebird. Sam.your may want to look for the correct bellhousing. As stated above cause of the angle the shifter would be at in the monte. It would be rotated to the right if you try to mate it up to anyother type of housing. like at the 2 to 3 oclock position the car. Instead of straight up our the 12 o clock position. I also have the weaker T5 that was behind the v-6 in the firebird. You can have for free Sam. The gearbox housing could be reuse if need be I would imagine.