My Monte now at home in France

Originally Posted By: Murphy
I was wondering the same thing about the vinyl top, possibly just a 72 thing??

The vinyl tops like that are dealer or aftermarket installed, not factory.

Would the car still have the vinyl code on the tag? Mine does so I always thought someone just replaced the top and threw out the chrome but I have no evidence. If only the old girl could talk.

Originally Posted By: Canuck
Originally Posted By: Murphy
I was wondering the same thing about the vinyl top, possibly just a 72 thing??

The vinyl tops like that are dealer or aftermarket installed, not factory.

Would the car still have the vinyl code on the tag? Mine does so I always thought someone just replaced the top and threw out the chrome but I have no evidence. If only the old girl could talk.

That is my question also. It appears that the vinyl is dealer installed but still the vinyl top code is on the body tag! No evidence under the vinyl that there was any other vinyl top trim on the roof ever.

Hi,

Sorry I didn't had time to answer about the vynil...

Actually mine is an aftermarket. The original vynil was in very bad condition.

I have never noticed the difference between original and aftermarket vynil shocked

Fantastique Romain, combien pour faire le plein? shocked

Peût-importe, l'aventure commence!

Oh and we're looking for a volunteer to make the trek and be the first to snap a pic of a Monte in Monte Carlo grin. You would be the first as far as I know and it would make quite the trophy for the site. By the way, I see you have the same type of vinyl roof as mine, I'm starting to wonder if they were available like that.

Ahahah maybe this summer I will take a pic of my Monte in... Monte Carlo laugh

And for the gas... it always cost too much...

Hi,

Sorry I didn't had time to answer about the vynil...

Actually mine is an aftermarket. The original vynil was in very bad condition.

I have never noticed the difference between original and aftermarket vynil shocked

The difference we are talking about is that the original vinyl has a chrome border that runs above the drip rails exposing a ridge of paint (on this thread you can see it on the cars of Monteman, Murphy, Rod, Aaron, and Dennis) the aftermarket vinyl extends all the way to the drip rails like yours, Andreas old picture and mine). You say yours was replaced, did you see the original that came with the car and whether it went to the drip rails or not? Does your car have the vinyl code? Would be nice to solve this question.

...and thanks for considering the Monte in Monte Carlo challenge.

Thanks

The difference we are talking about is that the original vinyl has a chrome border that runs above the drip rails exposing a ridge of paint (on this thread you can see it on the cars of Monteman, Murphy, Rod, Aaron, and Dennis) the aftermarket vinyl extends all the way to the drip rails like yours, Andreas old picture and mine). You say yours was replaced, did you see the original that came with the car and whether it went to the drip rails or not? Does your car have the vinyl code? Would be nice to solve this question.

...and thanks for considering the Monte in Monte Carlo challenge.

Thanks

Hi MG,

According to the pics, my previous vynil seems to be an "aftermarket kind" without the chrome border. Where can I find the vynil code ? In my VIN ?

I'm still looking for the build sheet of my Monte... and I guess it is written on it.

Salut Romain,

Thanks for that info. The code for vinyl roof in 1972 is Regular Production Option Accessory Option Code "C08" and can be found on the "Body Tag" which is located riveted under the hood. Check out this link <Body Tag Link> for more info on where to find the tag and what it looks like.

You will not find "C08" on your body tag for a vinyl top.

Vinyl tops were indicated by a Single letter right in front of the PNT in the second row on the body tag

A is a white vinyl top, B black, D blue, etc.

Here is as a sample how my 72 decoded:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/643191/1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo/page-2/

In my opinion, there is no question on this issue. The factory would not install a vinyl top different than advertised. Every non-factory vinyl top that I've seen uses vinyl and/or trim that was different than what the factory offered. Seems like there was several types of aftermarket trim and vinyl available. I've seen some that were padded like the mid 70s also. Some of the aftermarket tops were installed better than others but most I've seen were not of factory quality. Also, can you imagine the factory having 2 alternate methods of installing vinyl tops? Not likely in my opinion.

You will not find "C08" on your body tag for a vinyl top.

Vinyl tops were indicated by a Single letter right in front of the PNT in the second row on the body tag

A is a white vinyl top, B black, D blue, etc.

Here is as a sample how my 72 decoded:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/643191/1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo/page-2/

Andreas, I have the C08 code on my tag (third line, just below the paint code) and the GM package specifically for my car lists C08 as Exterior Soft Trim Roof Cover or vinyl roof. Don't have a scanner to back this up but I think you are referring only to the colour code for the vinyl roof vice the actual option. Bottom line is I think both should be on the tag unless this is a plant related difference. There are a lot of options that are not on the tag but this one is on mine as is C60 for air conditioning. Would be curious to have others chime in on this.

In my opinion, there is no question on this issue. The factory would not install a vinyl top different than advertised. Every non-factory vinyl top that I've seen uses vinyl and/or trim that was different than what the factory offered. Seems like there was several types of aftermarket trim and vinyl available. I've seen some that were padded like the mid 70s also. Some of the aftermarket tops were installed better than others but most I've seen were not of factory quality. Also, can you imagine the factory having 2 alternate methods of installing vinyl tops? Not likely in my opinion.

I think the question or questions here is not whether both are factory, I think we all agree for the reasons you state that the roofs without chrome were likely not factory installed. As Andreas mentioned is it possible that some cars came out of the factory with the code and a vinyl roof to be installed at the dealership? Does sound odd. Why do there seem to be a few of those around with the tag and no evidence of chrome? Maybe it is real difficult to remove and re-install this chrome if you are replacing the vinyl roof to the point where it is simpler to grind it smooth and get rid of the chrome. Seems odd as well, but I can't speak from experience on that, maybe others can. Just trying to find out whatever info people with these uncommon roofs have confused.

Looks like you're right... and it was made in Van Nuys 3rd week of Jun 1972, black cloth bench seats, midnight bronze exterior smile.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the roof info. I guess the mystery remains as to why my car and some other have this type of roof and also have the factory vinyl roof code. My history goes back with info from the previous owner all the way to 1985 and it had this type of roof at that time. I guess I still need to find the original owner and find out what the hell happened:(.