Tech Archive

Tony recently mentioned the Tech Archive so I took the time to review it. It clearly contains a lot of valuable information and I understand those threads are "closed" to further discussion. Yet, there were several questions that came to mind:

1. What is the stated purpose of the Tech Archive?

2. What is the process for moving selected threads/topics into Tech Archive from their respective Technical forums?

3. Who in the club actually invokes that process?

4. How often is it done?

5. What are the criteria that need to be satisfied for a particular thread/topic to be moved to the Tech Archive?

6. When is that criteria applied and who applies it (i.e. periodic review by a responsible club member, nomination by any member, etc.)?

The primary motivation behind the questions above is my observation that the latest post date for the nine forums within the Tech Archive range from 2005 to 2012 with most in 2008.

My original thought was that perhaps certain topics of higher relevance or more general interest to all members were "saved" by moving them to the Tech Archive when the older posts in the Technical forums were deleted for space reasons. Since that does not appear to be the case, I am left wondering about the original purpose and current implementation of the Tech Archive.

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

Dennis, the tech archive originally I believe was due to the fact we were cleaning out some of the redundant or "useless" older posts. I started that interior tech archive before we switches servers, when I was a moderator of that forum, as the other mods did with their respective forums. We basically put useful posts in there that were answers to FAQ's,to sort of make it easier for people to find answers instead of posting repeat questions. In all actuality, our members like answering questions though, unlike many other forums when you get attacked for asking a question without first performing a search. We also did not want to lose any of that info by an accidental delete

I think there have been a few more recent saves to the archives, but not as many as back then, basically someone suggests archiving it, and for the most part it is taken care of, if you have something you would like to see saved, by all means make mention of it either on the forums, or through a PM to a moderator of that forum. I think some of us have been slacking with keeping the threads cleaned out and up to date, me included in that. Seems that wintertime is housecleaning around here for obvious reasons, each mod is responsible for archiving things in their own forums.

Hope I answered some of your questions anyway, others will chime in here Im sure and add to whatever I missed and what I was wrong on grin

edit... Dennis, actually that post that I mentioned the archive was from 2010 lol

Us poor Moderators have to waddle through all those "useless" posts to determine if it is worth archiving. At the same time cleaning out some of the info not related to the facts. I do believe around 08 is when the archives where added (correct me if I'm wrong) and gave us the area to keep good information available for the members to search. Before that all that information was left in each forum and many pages deep.

With the onset of winter I'm sure more info will be added to the archives.