rear end id

There is an excellent article on how to ID your differential in the Technical Info link, under the Monte Carlo Archives heading.

hi there,

you will need to look at the front passenger side of the rear end about 4-8 inches from the pumpkin. just clean off that area and you will find it then just look at the rear axle decode in the technical section that i wrote up.

later alex

Hi:

If that is the casting number the it should have the sides of the cover scalloped out. If this is the case the rear has 2:73 gears in it. It looks like an old GTO rear, because that is a Pontiac casting number. Your car also has only a 2 bbl carb on it originally too.

Hope this helps

Ed smile

I've attached a photo of my rear end stamping. Its a 71 and a 2:73 non posi. If the pic is too small look in my album in the FGMCC photos in MSN. a>

Hey cchev:

Your rear end codes out as a, KD, 2:73 ratio open rear, C, Chev manufacture 196 day of year and ,B, shift.

All of this info courtesy of "Chevrolet by the Numbers" by Alan Colvin.

Hope this helps.

Ed

kd = 2.73:1

c = Buffalo rear axle plant

196 = julian date

b = "supposed to be a number possibly a 3 is what the person thought he had" 3 = 3rd shift but might be second shift "this is new"

as per the assembly manual

alex