Need help to ID an engine...

Rooster

I just picked up a 70 Monte with a 402 in it. Found the build sheet to verify thats what it came with, now I want to make sure that the 402 that is in the car is the original. The numbers I found are: 3969854, TO406CLB and what looks like 1L1 then 54866.

I know the T=Tonawanda and there is a sticker on the passenger side valve cover that says Tonawanda. I found the 3969854 number online and looks to be approeriate. But as for the CLB and (1L1?)54866 I can't figure out. The 54866 dosen't match any of my VIN #.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Carl.

the 1L154866 would be the VIN number of the car that engine was installed in

the first "1" is the year...1971

"L" is the assembly plant the car was built, Van Nuys, Cal

154866 is the VIN sequence number

so it doesn't look like it's the original engine for your '70

I believe it would be:

Tonawanda plant dated April 6th 1971, 402 4V 300 H.P. for a 400 turbo transmission. 1971 passenger car application. As for the numbers match to your car ???? That other number doesn't correspond to a Vin. number with only 5 numbers.

1L1 I'm not sure on that either.

My 2 cents

Could it be my car was built late in the year that they would have used a 71 motor or marked the motor different? Doubtful I know but just wondering, the Production sequence in my VIN is 121221, 146000 built that year. Yea sounds very unlikely, seems strange that someone would put a 402 out of another 71 Monte and not out of some other car. Well that kinda stinks!

Thank you all for the help though smile

Carl

Rooster...Sam(Bones)hit it right on with his info. As far as replacing the motor...it's quite possible maybe even obvious, the original '70 402 motor had issues and was replaced. Whoever replaced it felt that another Monte 402 needed to be installed even if it wasn't a '70. Happens more often than we probably think.

My brother had a '70 Monte 350/300hp bought from California sight unseen. The previous owner stated it was all matching numbers and once delivered to his home we found out the engine was actually from a '70 Camaro. It happens. Knowing the information you've provided I'd say it's not the original engine and was replaced (for whatever reason) but still a great car.

Troy

Thanks Troy. I still love the car and was going to make it a Pro Street car to begin with but was unsure if I should. Now that I find its not a numbers matching motor I may lean more towards my ariginal plans. No matter what, I will, in my eyes, make this already cool car cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info. I posted in the Modifiers section I picked up another motor to build for the car. Kinda funny, I have been out of cars and into drag racing Harley's for a long time. Sold one of my bikes and now have 3 big blocks and my new (70) sitting in its place. I feel like a kid in a candy shop, very excited about this build.