Hood spear part #

Went and got it. It has P-3987004 on it. Next to it is the bowtie with BC in the center. Number 1 is next to this. This is a 3 piece assembly. spear, spring and black emblem spelling out Chevrolet in script. And 3 atatch nuts.

The numbers cast into parts are often casting #'s, design #'s, or engineering #'s. They often are similar but not always the same as the actual part #. Part #'s also often superceed & change throughout the years too. 3987001 is the original part # back in 1971, should be a good # to use for searching for a NOS piece in its original packaging.

Whoops, caught my own mistake 3987001 is part # for 1970. 1971 part # is 6263030.

Well we seem to have two different parts numbers for the same parts yet they are one in the same, Well for Pats The 1 Stands for Canadian built in Oshawa ontario Canada where the GM plant was and many many monte's were made and sold both in Canada and canadian monte's sent south and sold in the usa as well. Same for the parts...Pat's also had BC stamped on them as GM Canada produced them and sold them out of the Province of BC (British Columbia) in a town called Kamloops where Wolf GM sold the hood spear and thousands of other parts as well as they were the largest GM dealer in Canada at one time but is now called Smith GM. They made more emblems than there were monte carlo's made and thus some were shipped just like the cars down to the usa where they were boxed up and sold there just like the one's made in Baltimore Maryland but used the US gm boxes to sell them in which had the US gm part number on them already... same part 2 different part numbers which is not the first and only part that did this.... Map light mirrors same story and also say made in Canada on the underside by the lamp housing or made in usa and also the plastic inner fender well's...Made in Canada on some too and so on......

Darren.

That's interesting. So I guess if you're looking for a part, it could be one of several different numbers depending on it's origin?

I like the part number that shows it for $12.20

Jake,

This is an NOS hood spear that I purchased from someone on the club.

Although hard to read the part # is P-3987004 followed by the bowtie with some stamp in the middle which I cant make out and then the # 2. On the opposite side is #’s 9579

Hope this helps

img9735b.jpg

img9741o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...