Installing MSD Box

Nygel

I'm getting ready to install MSD Box in my Monte and was wondering where everybody was putting theirs. I have AC hoses running along the fender so there is really no room there. That would have been my first choice. I can bend up a bracket and mount it on the driver side wheelwell, but will have to add some wire for the battery connections and this just seems like a place for future problems. I thought about mounting it inside under the dash, but a few have told me that they make an annoying buzz sound. Also, if anyone has any advice or pics, that would be cool. I have installed one before, but it was in my 55 and I had plenty of room and options.

Nygel

Not the greatest picture but it shows where I have. It is bolted through the fender and uses rubber mounts. I have since replaced it with a Digital MSD box but it is mounted in the exact same location.

img1442wz6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have mine mounted on top of the glove box (under the dash pad). I have not experienced any noise and I like it hidden there. I also took the unused wire from the box and grounded it through a switch for additional security. Now whenever the car is out of my sight I can flip the switch disabling the ignition. It would take a would be thief quite some time to find a way to get the car started.

I have a similar switch on my 72. Flip the switch and the motor will turn over but not run. I know this works from experience. Went to a car show and flipped the switch, after the show the car would not start. Several of my friends came over and started playing around with the wiring under the hood, just jiggling and moving them around. After a couple of minutes I remembered and told one of them to double check the battery connection the MSD box. While they were looking it over I flipped the switch and it started. There was some corrosion on one of the plugs so wee blamed it on that after cleaning wiping that plug down.

I have two switches in-line of the box hidden in two different areas...works great, thief will just keep cranking till the battery dies...oh and I have a switch on the fuel pump too...that one I have forgotten to turn on several times over the years, last time it happened I just pulled out and was making a turn at an intersection and it died... eek