New top end

70 MONTE

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get New heads, intake, and cam. It's going in a stock 350 with 115,000 miles on it. My question is, can I just put the new cam in or should I change the cam bearings too? If I should change the bearings can I do that in car without removing pan and crank?

With that many miles they are probably due to be changed. If you replace them the engine would need to be removed. The rear cam bearing needs to be installed from the transmission side. The crank needs to be removed to line up the oil feed hole in the bearing that gets it's oil supplied from the crankshaft.

This is the "snowball" effect!

Damn, I was afraid of that. At this point by the time you factor in all cost and trouble maybe it would be more cost effective and easier just to get a crate motor to drop in and keep the stock one.

With 115,000 miles on the motor, you're probably going to find out what the snowball is all about. I'll bet that you're going to find your timing chain is pretty much without teeth, and then the pan has to come off to clean them out of the bottom of the engine.

Cam bearings aren't a high-wear item because the cam spins at 1/2 speed. You can probably change the cam without replacing them IMO, but you're going to find other things to fix and you should be prepared for a project. Often times a fresh valve job (new heads) will increase your compression and vacuum and you suddenly realize that your old piston rings aren't up to the task and the engine burns oil.

Wow... snowball is something dangerous on our old Montes.

After reading this post I just realized that I got a big snowball at home grin

Good luck with yours Ken.