Big Block intake?

wallaby

Any of you have big-blocks with aftermarket intakes? I made the mistake of assuming. I don't think it's going to fit under the hood! I might be able to get an aftermarket air cleaner assy, but it would have to be 2" or less from the carb surface to top of lid.

Am I measuring wrong?

Anyone?

I have the Weiand action plus intake, with a holley 770 and a chrome 14" round air cleaner that has the drop style base and 3" K&N element. (All Clear Stock Hood)

I'm running a Holley Strip Dominator intake, 1" carb spacer, Holley 850 carb, and a 14" air cleaner assembly with a 3" filter element and I think my base has little to no drop. All this under a stock hood, but it's right up against the hood. If you don't run a spacer you will have plenty of room. When I had my Eddy Performer RPM on my big block with no spacer I had all kinds of hood clearance. A Eddy Victor Jr. Should clear a stock hood with no spacer as well. Hope this helps.

BB

Ok, thanks. I got the Performer 2-0 (might not be what I need because it is set up for small oval port heads) and it looks about 2" taller than the factory intake. I don't know if I can get my Quadrajet and factory air cleaner under the hood. If I picked the wrong manifold and have to exchange it for the RPM type, I loose another inch of room.

I guess I'll have to stack all the parts up and see if the hood clears.

Hey Wallaby, I would sure think you'd be fine clearance wise. I've run the rpm air gap, and the GM high rise dual plane for the 454ho and they both cleared with a drop base air cleaner with a 3" element.

Have you compared the port sizes for the 2.0 and your Merlin heads?

On my 502 it's tight also, but I have a 3" tall filter with an inch to spare before it will touch the actual hood (no insulation).

I had a 4" filter but decided on adding the K&N open top filter for more air and needed to lower it to 3".

On my motor it was only possible with this 1 1/4" drop base. (This photo pops up quite often)

laugh

599-85-3549.jpg

Heckeng, I saw an immediate difference in port size. The Performer manifold is about 2" taller than the factory manifold, and the ports are the small oval ports. I didn't even know there was a small oval port head, but I'd guess it was some late-model offering for trucks or something? Anyway, I have an inquiry in with Edelbrock to find out if they recommend that I match port sizes or go with the RPM range numbers. My factory manifold has the bigger ports that match the heads.

The problem is that I like the operating range of the performer (idle to 5500), and its lower height...but the ports are considerably smaller and I can see it limit power as revs increase.

The only other option is the Performer RPM Q-jet manifold. That is the only other manifold they have for the spreadbore carbs, and it has the large oval ports that match my heads...but it sits another inch taller than the performer, costs more, and has a range of 1500-6500RPM.

If I knew how good/bad my original manifold would rate against these Edelbrock units, I could more easily decide. I have to pick one of the three. confused

That's too bad about the port size not being closer. I wonder if Edelbrock and Weiand would give you the height and width of the oval? Then you could match it up better, of course, but matching the size up, you are moving your effective rpm band up. I would definitely hesitate to put it on if your stock intake had larger ports though!

They do post those specs...in fine print, of course.

My cylinder head intakes: 1.6 x 1.9

Edelbrock Performer:..... 1.6 x 1.7....0-5500rpm

Weiand action plus:.......1.6 x 1.8....0-6500

Edelbrock RPM:.............1.6 x 1.9....1500-6500

Looking at it that way, I guess it's within realm that they were sized that way on purpose.

Edelbrock replied to my Email and said the Performer 2-0 manifold is designed to fit either type of oval cylinder head, and is ideal up to 5500rpm. I even suggested that I move up to their RPM Q-jet manifold, but the tech recommends the performer.

I guess it can't hurt to try. Its just hard to tell from looking at it whether it's going to be better than my factory intake.