Starter and Ignition Wiring Smoked

MontyMen,

Let's say a relative (my older brother) connected battery jumper cables backwards during a moment of alcohol enhanced mental absence. He smoked several cables ... fusible link at the starter and a wire to the coil. OK ... I'll take some blame as both my battery cables are red colored at the moment. I know that's not the smartest thing to do but hey, it's what I had on hand that was long enough and 99.99% of the time I am the only one under the hood. So I have replaced both battery cables (color correct now!), the wire to the coil, the fusible link to the ignition (I think?). No joy cranking. Getting 12.6v to the starter solenoid and 12.57v to the alternator. The running lights will illuminate, but not the headlights. 100% stock ignition and electrical.

Any guesses or knowledge concerning what else is fried would be appreciated? Cooked another fusible link that I can't see in the wiring loom? Cooked Horn Relay?

Also, check the the black 16 gauge single wire connection at the horn relay. This wire supplies power to this cirucit as well.

In addition your headlamp fuse is most likely blown.

Take a close look...my '71 has a fusible link on the positive battery cable. There is a pigtail coming from the positive terminal that goes around in front of the battery between the battery and radiator support, where it connects to a small stud terminal. That pigtail should have a fusible link in it.

Check that terminal and see if you have voltage there. This is the main feed line.

I looked very closely with a spotlight at all the wiring up front and couldn't find a small terminal. Took out battery tray to get better view. The only electrical anything I found are two wires left side lamp, four wires right headlight, three wires parking lamp, and one each horn. 99% sure all original wiring as I'm the second owner and know its history. It seems I do remember a fusible pigtail on positive on my 72 Chevelle. Don't hate that I had a Chevelle ... I was 22 years old fresh out of college! I went back to my best Chevy ever ... Montes' by a Mile

My meter battery died and had no spare 9v so I couldn't test the purple and red at the ignition today. The horn relay seems good on voltage.

Thanks for the assist ... new Grandpa needs it!

Here is a picture of the power link connection stud on the inside right (passenger side) of the rad support. Do you have a test light? You can check for power with a test light.

power link stud pic

The MultiMeter is energized again ... I'm getting old (or cheap or both) ... $4.50 for a little 9V battery!

Purple wire comes from the Junction Block?

I have searched the front of battery and radiator support area over like a hawk ... I cannot find a terminal or the reminence of a terminal block. I see from your picuture there are three connections on that terminal. The + battery pigtail connection, but what are the other two cables attached to?

I have a 71, perhaps 72 changed? Any 72 owners out there?

On the starter where the main large + cable bolts to the starter, are there any other wires attached there? (Not the two small wires attached to the solenoid) I assume then your + cable is only one big cable with no attached small wires near the battery end that goes from + batt to the starter? My 71 cable also has a small + wire that goes to the junction block on the rad support. Yours sounds different. I don't want to send you in the wrong direction if 72 is different.

Bruce

Just chiming in to confirm another set up. My 72 doesn't have the junction block. Off the solenoid where the battery positive is connected there is a red 4 gauge wire that runs to the horn relay. In the line is a fuseable link.

My positive cable at the battery does not have any small wires going anywhere.

Where is the horn relay on a 72?

My 71 is drivers side rad support.

Didn't the relay in 72 get moved to the fire wall near the brake booster? Way different, I'm done. Sorry if I led you astray.

Bruce, Mark,

No harm no foul ... like I said I remember a pigtail from + to a location near the Rad support on a Chevelle owned. Some things even depend upon plant location, wouldn't be first time. Thanks for looking, the pic link and the assistance.

PS. Bruce, You have the coolest looking signature picture ever on FGMCC ... just sayin'

Joe,

A 4 gauge red wire to the horn realy from the starter solenoid + with an inline 16 gauge fusible link? My Horn Relay is in the same location by the Brake Booster, but it looks like a 12 gauge wire at best with no fusible link. Looks like I have loom to remove and a new wire to run! Maybe it was burned once before I bought it and he just stuck whatever he had to make the connection ... but 4 gauge to 12 gauge ... major difference! Resistance from solenoid to relay was miniscule, but I need to run real voltage through there after I get the column back together.

Thanks

Charlie