Steering box - rebuild vs buy rebuilt vs upgrade?

Just wanted to get some experienced opinions. Looking at my steering, I'm trying to decide which way to go. I know eventually I want a quicker steering box, the dream is to put a r&p system in. Right now my focus is to get it on the road as quickly as possible, but at the same time I don't want to waste putting things back together only to take them apart later. I feel like the rack and pinion upgrade can wait; it's a major expense difference and I might be happy enough with just a quicker steering box. I won't know for sure until I'm actually driving it again.

From what I can tell, I can get all new steering linkage for much cheaper than an r&p system, which leaves only the steering box as a variable expense (I'm going to need a new steering pump regardless).

I've never rebuilt a steering box before, but I found

which seem very helpful (I haven't had a chance to watch them all yet). Seems like something I could handle. And I love learning new things.

Is it worth it to tackle it myself? Seems like rebuild kits are only about $60, while a new box is a couple hundred (or more) whether it's the stock steering ratio or a fast ratio. I'm wondering if there are any hidden pitfalls to avoid when rebuilding it myself, or if rebuilding it to a stock ratio won't take out the slop that I remember. I hate steering deadband. I'm assuming a fast ratio box eliminates that deadband - anyone with such a box that can tell me otherwise?

Thanks for the guidance, as always.

I haven't done anything yet as that project is on the backburner right now. I did purchase a used box from a 97 or 98 jeep grand Cherokee. It has a faster ratio than the stock box as well as less turns lock to lock. It's a direct drop in minus the ragjoint and some press in fittings for the box to go from metric oring style to out standard SAE flare. Cost for me is under $100 just need the ragjoint or a ujoint.

I have looked into the Jeep steering box upgrade. That's the way I'm going when I upgrade to a serpentine belt system. I'll be replacing the power steering pump and will upgrade to the braided stainless steel lines at the same time.

I have a 3rd gen F Body box on mine. Bolted right on, switched the pitman arm and it turns fast and has great road feel. $35 for the box on Craigslist, plus $5 for the fitting adapters.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ordered the stuff yesterday. Hotchkis steering linkage kit from Summit as well as the AGR 12:1 box. Tilt column for A/T floor shift from NPD, pitman arm from OPG, rag joint and various bolts from NPD and OPG. Going for a Borgeson shaft once I have the column and box installed to measure necessary length. I'll let y'all know how it comes together.

In like 3 months. crazy