sudden weird ignition issue?

astrochimp

Today, while driving around...my steering column tach suddenly reads about 1,000 rpm's on the highway. should be above 2500 or so. Also I'm hearing an engine ping, possibly, type noise under heavy acceleration. But the car continues to run other than that.

It has a stock cap, accel coil and hyfire ignition box.

it's just very weird, i've never experienced this before

going to take a peek to see if anything obvious

Where have you been buying fuel lately?

Could be detonation or pinging under load from EL CRAPO GAS....

Or water even.

If everything else checks out I'd suspect that...

Just my .02 cents fwiw.

Good Luck with it hope it is very minor.

Regards

Scott

I would closely look at the fit (Wrong rotor or cap) or gap of the cap and rotor tip.

Check the alignment of the tip of the rotor and the cap metal terminal in conjunction of the trigger that actually fires the spark. Example is the spark is triggered well before or after the tips are in alignment causing the spark to jump inside the cap as well as the spark plug. I believe the best way to view this is to cut up you cap so you can see the trigger and tips and verify alignment. I have seen this with "rebuilt" distributors.

I purchased a nice Heavy Duty tan cap with brass terminals from NAPPA that was for a Chevy 427 truck. They had to order it and this was about (WOW) 18+ years ago. Time sure flies when you having fun driving your Monte!

Bruce

We used to package those brown caps at Delco Remy Division of GMCand were told they were caddy caps. All the brown caps had copper contacts and a copper center with the carbon ball.