Glove Box Door chrome knob

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

My glove box door chrome knob has been a problem for some time now. It would intermittently fall off when glove box latch snapped closed. I was able to easily locate it back on and it would stay for awhile. I discovered if holding knob when closing glove box, it would stay on every time. Well, recently it came off while holding knob closing glove box and will not stay on any longer. I examined it to see where the problem might be but unable to determine what secures knob onto glove box door latch! I saw a button on latch assembly and corresponding relief in knob that when fitted together, button matches location of relief so button sits in relief. Can this be the feature that secured knob to key latch and simple fatigue / wear lost contact? I dont see anything that appears broken, worn or damaged that may be the problem. I'm envisioning this button and corresponding relief in knob when fitted (pressed) together created the bond. Need some guidance on this!!!!

I haven't done any further investigation at this point but am aware to remove key latch there is a procedure required. Need some guidance here also please.

I do have another glove box door but again, does not match my glove box key and unsure if tumblers can be adjusted to fit original key.

Any and all help appreciated.

Doug