Quick Release hub & Steering Wheel.

superstk

OK.

Haven't been on here in several years.

Still have my '71 Monte and am looking to add a quick release steering wheel hub.

Before I purchase one, I want to ask a few questions.

Can the quick release hub be installed on a tilt wheel column (stock column)?

If so, will it extend further out from column or will it shorten the length of the column (w/steering wheel on).

With the cage in the car and gaining a few pounds. I need something that makes it easier to get into the car.

I've changed the side bar to a swing arm kit from Alston Racecars and I love it. However, the stock steering wheel seems like it could use a 1" reduction in diameter to make it more comfortable to steer with the cage being so close on the left hand side in relation to the steering wheel.

Anyway, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Fred

Just now seeing this. I had something like what you're talking about installed when I was driving mine, although I'm not sure if it's the exact same thing. Sounds like you might be talking about something like what I've seen on F1 cars, NASCAR cars, etc.

Mine was the Grant security system. It added about 2" to the column and was installed on the stock tilt column.

MCdash_zps01f191fb.jpg

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Here's my next question then.

Is th stock non-tilt steering column shorter than the tilt column?

If so, who has one for trade. smile

PS. I'm PM'ing Andre.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thanks for the replies.

Looking at the setup, I measured the steering wheel and it is 15" in diameter.

Looking at steering wheels, I'm considering a 14" wheel.

I just can't see myself with a 13" wheel.

14" wheel will give me a little extra room on the window side to clear the roll cage bar at the post.

Now I'm also considering changing the bucket seat to a racing bucket.

Ahhh, I hate when the mind starts to consider new ideas. Just starts to cost more money. smile

• 2 weeks later...

13 Really isnt that bad when you get used to it. I have one in my s10 and probably prefer it over full size. Hence why I never changed it back. I prefer it since it is easier to turn and IMO easier to handle with your hands closer together. Only down side for you, you cant really just try out 2 unless you know people who already have them.

My 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...