Console wiring

Leghome

Anyone have a schematic of where how the console wiring hooks up under the dash? I am hooking it up I hope after three and 1/2 years of ownership while the rest of the interior is out. I am pretty sure I have figured out the neutral safety switch but the rest of it has me buffaloed. 

Larry I have Pics from the Service and shop manuals but at home, when I get in tonight unless someone has beaten me to it I will post them.. The plug connector in the dash harness resembles that of the Radio plug in appearance and has the orange/grey/and white wires coming out of it and is tucked up in the same area.

Darren.

A quick word of warning, my original wiring harness did not include the plug Darren mentioned... square with white/orange/grey wires. I may be the only person that has found their harness lacking that plug, but I completely dissected it and the plug for the console lights wasn't included.

Was your Monte originally equipped with a console?

I just completed putting in a console and bucket seats in my car. I too did not have the plug in my wiring harness so I used the existing neutral safety switch on the column. Just hooked into the orange and white wires for courtesy light and taped into the gray wire for illumination. Plus that saved me about $100 in harness costs.

• Like 1

It was not a console car from the factory. The previous owner put in a broken console which I have mended and the bucket seats. I was looking at taking the wires from the column mount neutral safety switch. The rest of the wiring I have no clue as to what to do. I already have the harness's fort he console and the one gong to the dash just need to figger out where evey thing else comes from or goes to.

I just extended the wires when I switched to the neutral switch on the console shifter. Much safer when the car won't start in any gear, like when I was still using the column switch with the console shifter. Ran them down the firewall and under the carpet. I'll look and see if I still have the wiring schematic. I don't remember if I had the plug or not. I did make my own harness though, I remember that.

console2.jpg

console1.jpg

console3.jpg

Now there are so many ways to hook up the console with wiring and depends on how you work with the steering column or replaced it with a floor shift one thats correct with a console.

yes there were some Monte's like the chevelle's that did not have the plug I spoke of and some that did. That plug I spoke of is basically the wires you need to illuminate to console and the ground wire too. To switch over to a full reverse lights horse shoe shifter neutral safety switch located one, then you have to transfer the end of steering column wires to run along under the carpet and coming out in a slit at the nose of the console by the floor heater location and then runs along the side of the console and plugs into the neutral safety switch. The wire cosist of Purple,purple/black,pink,yellow,light green,dark green,and the other three colors mentioned in the 3 pin plug.

as goofy as it sounds you can cut off the column shifterwhen its in neutral and smooth it down and fill it and paint it so it looks like a floorshift column and still hook up the linkage as before but get a tranny shifter bracket that will allow you to use both console cable and steering linkage so when you shift horse shoe it will move the linkage causing the column to still rotate and move the nutral safty at the end of the column and triger the reverse and starter and so on from there and just use the 3 pin plug to light up the console.

or go the whole nine yards and get the floor shift column and transpose the wires as mentioned.

The cars that dont have the 3 wire plug I spoke of can steel the 3 wires from the headlight switch or dash lights (orange and white) and the grey wire being the ground can come through the form of adding a grey wire and ground out the lights to a screw at the console mounting plate or shifter plate. If you ground out the grey wire on the ground from the radio or Cigarette lighter you will end up with every time you use the lighter or radio the lights will dim on the console as 2 things will be trying to ground out at once instead of single dedicated grounds.

Hope that mumbo jumbo helps Larry, its easy to do once you have done a couple dozen cars hahaha but to explain it sometimes longer and harder to do than it looks. always slow going though and never be in a rush and ALWAYS make sure you use the same gauge of wire when running extra and try to keep close color codes as well, way easier to remember when assembling.

Darren. 

I opted for changing the harness since that was the only one which hadn't been changed so far. Installation was a breeze, I got a new fuse block, and I don't have to worry about old brittle wiring. Yes it was expensive but in my opinion well worth it.

Thanks Steve I appreciate it very much and Iooked over Darren's post and it was somewhat helpful but I am very dense when it come to wiring so my son in-law will be better able to understand it.

Larry I can't find the schematic or my notes anywhere. I did this about 4 years ago and can't remember where I put them so I wouldn't lose them. :doh: I do know the orange wire Peter is talking about has a free connector under the center of dash around radio and heat controls. I think the gray wire is under there too. The neutral safety switch and reverse switch wiring I pulled from the column and extended with the same color wires down to the console with a new switch on the floor shifter. I'll keep looking but hopefully someone else can give you some more info. Sorry bud.

I looked at the wiring in the car yesterday and there is one purple wire and one purple with white tracer on both neutral safety switches. Also the one on the console has one green and one green with white tracer while the steering column switch has one pink wire and pink with white tracer. Me thinks the pink and green wire are the same just different years. Will have to look in the for the orange but I seem to remember that wire also. Thank you for your efforts Steve it has been a great help and I think I am headed in the correct direction now. Since I got laid off at the dealership Fri I will have plenty of time to work on it and several wood working projects that I have accumulated over the past several months. The wood projects will be money making ones to help replace lost income.

Larry the green wires are the backup lights, purple is neutral switch, and the red's are the ing switch and will stay at the col. The backup light and neutral safety switch can be length if need be. The orange wire is one of the light wires for the rear light of the console grey is the lights under the glass plate at the shifter. I was looking at my wiring book for 70 Chevelle's and Monte but they don't show the console wiring just the dash, front lights, and rear lights.

• 4 weeks later...

Larry the green wires are the backup lights, purple is neutral switch, and the red's are the ing switch and will stay at the col. The backup light and neutral safety switch can be length if need be. The orange wire is one of the light wires for the rear light of the console grey is the lights under the glass plate at the shifter. I was looking at my wiring book for 70 Chevelle's and Monte but they don't show the console wiring just the dash, front lights, and rear lights.

I concur, gray is NOT to be grounded.  Gray is for the two bulbs that light up the console indicator.  The harness will have gray wire and black wire to the bulb sockets.  Black is the wire that is grounded at the console mounting point.

I got the harness from Classic Muscle, it was well worth the money., around $40 or so

I also extended the necessary wires to the harness.

A