Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
bigamericanboy

Brakes and front end rebuild

Hello Everyone,

I've learned a lot coming here, but I need some more info.  Did First Gen MC's come with front drum brakes or were they all disk?  Secondly, I will need to order a front end rebuild kit.  I see there are two options, round and oval.  What parts do I need to look at to determine if they are oval or round?  I thought I heard the lower rear control arm.  Is this correct?

I have a 1971 with a 350 4bbl

Thanks guys!

Yep, Monte was standard front disc brake.

Most have the round bushings. There are some that had an oval bushing on the rear leg of the lower control arm (I think).

Give some thought to replacing the springs while you are in there, you're going to have them out anyway. I went with a hotchkis spring and was very happy with the result. Doing the bushings is a rite-of-passage kind of job. Very dirty and exasperating at times. I hope you have the engine in the car, it's almost impossible to do without the weight up front.

Redid my ft end and use POLY bushings. They squeak, after several years, so I wouldn't recommend poly, use stock rubber.

Lot's of aftermarket junk out there, be careful!

Bruce

The round vs oval on the lower control arm is just a design style. You can pick up complete stock style a-arms that have new bushing already install and a better cross shaft in the upper arm.