OE Master cyl ?

Didnt our cars come with Delco moraine brake systems? I replaced my master a couple years ago and set the old one aside to rebuild at a later date I was in the garage the other day looking at it and the top rubber seal has Wagner on it so am I to assume that this is not the orignal one? If so I dont think im going to waist my time rebuilding it the one I put on is working fine. Thanke in advance, Steve

Is it the original MC that came with the car? When I rebuilt my 71 20+ years ago, I think the parts counter person asked me if it was Delco or Wagner so I would get the correct parts. Mine is a Delco. I really can't answer your question if the factory built with both or not.

Good luck,

Bruce

Steve, both of my 70s had Delco Moraine master cylinders from the factory. The 1970 GM Assembly Manual for Chevelle, El Camino and Monte Carlo only shows the Delco Moraine unit for the power brake application (standard on all Montes) and lists it as Part Number 5470263. They also show the Bendix master cylinder for the non-power brake application under part number 5452475.

However, both the 1970 Chassis Service Manual and the 1970 Chassis Overhaul Manual show both Delco Moraine and Bendix master cylinders with their respective vacuum boosters. Note that the master cylinder and booster must be a matched set as the actuator rods between them are different lengths for the two brands. I didn't see a reference to Wagner in any of the three GM manuals so I wonder if it was ever used in production, although it is apparently a fairly popular replacement unit.

When I ordered a rebuilt master cylinder/booster assembly for my SS car last year, what I received was the Bendix setup. I objected because it looked different than the factory Delco Moraine unit I was replacing. The parts guys assured me that they were interchangeable and were both used in production. At that time, I found something that seemed to confirm what they were telling me so I went ahead with the swap. The Bendix assembly fit just fine and has worked well so far.

I also kept my original Delco Moraine assembly and will attempt to rebuild it when I get "around to it". To me, it just "looks" better than the Bendix unit.