Stock 350 upgrades

ClassicJJ

I have posted before about waking up my old 350. Its a 1970 350 4 bbl 300hp all stock and never rebuilt to my knowledge with 230,000 miles but still runs very strong and reliable. Now a few of you said pull and another few said a mild cam/lifters, and intake would give it a nice wake up. I have recent plans to sometime this week put a 200-4r behind it and regear the rear to 3:73 with a posi lock. I was hoping someone would have some cam/lifter suggestions with a good intake to add as well. this car has no plans of being a strip car and will be a daily driver but i want it to be able to clean the streets of these ricers around me every now and then off of a green light haha. please let me know of what you guys think and give me your full opinion. I'm building this car on a teenager budget and just looking to do the best I can for now so a motor pull or swap is not really an option at this time.

Can't go wrong with a Comp Cams Extreme Energy 268/280. Great throttle response and you can use a stock converter ( I would suggest a 2000+ stall though). As far as intake, use an Edlebrock Performer.. Good luck

With just a trany swap it would not only improve MPG but help with off line performance as well with out changing the rear gears. In other words not alot of work involved. The swap can easily be done in a day. I have swapped several trannies in my Monte but never a 200. I've done one 350 two 400s and a 700.I currently have a 4l80 ready to go in. Since I have never done a 200 I'm not sure of the OAL but I'm guessing that the drive shaft will need to be altered.

James, I've been there. I have a 71 with a SBC350 and a TH350 with a non-posi 2.73 gear with a single exhaust. A few things that have made a huge difference in my car was adding headers with 2" exhaust and flowmaster mufflers, then added an HEI distributor, new wires and plugs with a slightly larger gap. Things really improved with this upgrade! Then I found a used Performer intake for $45, cleaned & painted it, and had the Q-Jet rebuilt. The old girl runs really well and sounds great!

Here's a before & after shot............

P4240008.jpg

DSCF1526.jpg

Now I've only got 100K miles on this car and the motor was rebuilt going .030 over so she's really tight. What part of the valley are you in?

It was recommended that i go with 3:73 in the rear after the trans swap and Murphy I am in scottsdale. but your transformation is amazing! And would love any other advice you guys could offer. I'm really trying to do the best I can with it. I'm currently redoing the top since it had rust and prior body work under it. I would show you guys some pics of her but i cant figure out how to upload them.

Almost there, if you right click on the IMG link within Photobucket then choose copy then you can paste that link within your text box in the FGMCC page and preview to confirm...........