4 row radiator fitment

V8Freak

So another question suprise! Lol. Well I'm realizing slot of new rads are garbage these days and have been told my many too get the oldies for quality and because you can repair them. So my car was 350 and is now 454, my original 2 3/4" tanks can only be built up too a 3 row radiator. So I whent out back and robbed the rad out of out I think it is a 76 turbo trans am with 31/2"tanks which is what you need for a 4 row so before I spend the 400 bucks too rebuild it I'm wondering if anyone has had fitment problems with the 31/2" tanks (4 row) rads in the rad saddle etc?

I have a 3 row aluminum radiator rated for 1000 hp from champion radiators it's a big radiator but it fits with no modifications so far it's never gotten above 180 degrees even while doing the break in and doing nearly 3000 rpms for half an hour. And it was only $ 269 so a new radiator won't break the bank and is a good price.

just looked it up..even the 2 row is rated to 500 hp...and at 160..its a steel..even if you have to drive to Niagara falls NY to pick it up...sorry thats where i get my stuff sent if seller wont ship to Can.

I really don't want too go aluminum, have had not so good experiences with

How long they last. I know they cool well but leaks are a problem with them. And most new rads are all throw away and can't be repaired. There all off shore these days. And even those are all pushing $400, I like the thought of these old copper or brass tanks that can be repaired forget what there made of exactly. And I could go 2 row but why go through the work and have the car potentially overheat? I see it all the time old muscle cats overheating. I'd rather have the peace of mind us once I'm done building the cat it may just get charged lol. Probably not

But you never know. I see they make grommets for a 4 row I'm just wondering I'd there's much altering that needs too be done? I know if I do my original tanks and a 3 row no problems but again I'd like 3 1/2" tanks

Hi Matt, I have 4 row rads in mine,For a 4 row to fit you have to bend the driver side of the core support slightly and also the top plate for the rubber cushions because of them being longer to fit the tank,unless you get the top plate with an extension tab from the parts place.

The rad came from www.SS396.com (Ground up)company.They are copper/brass and cost $384.00 Prt # AKY-844A for an automatic .

They are a chevelle supplier but the rads are the same.

Terry

I also had to modify my radiator support to allow the deeper radiator. Not too bad, just need to make some room where the tank seams are. My old rubber isolators didn't fit: they were too short. Other than that, it went right in.

I know you stated you don't want Aluminum, but this is one of the best out there. http://www.dewitts.com/collections/cheve...or-manual-28-25 If you are on the Team Chevelle Forum, they will give you a discount. It's basically the same as a 4 row Harrison Copper Radiator, but made out of Aluminum. I'm switching my Copper Harrison 4 Row to this shortly if you're interested in used. It's currently cooling a 496.

I put a 402 CI in my 72 5 years ago and had cooling issues with the stock heavy duty 3 core radiator. It really needed recored but instead went with a 2 core aluminum from Alumatech and are built right here in the USA! A direct fit with no complications and has never gone above 170 degrees since regardless of weather, terrain or speed. It was designed for automatic and A/C.

It has been discussed that more cores don't necessarily provide more efficient cooling. It is argued more cores equals less space between tubes thus reducing cooling efficiency. A 2 core can have thicker / larger diameter tubes and still ample space between the tubes moving the coolant/air and promote arguably more efficient cooling.

I did research on this reading the statistical data and considered it to be a logical conclusion.

Not all aluminum radiators are built equally! There are good and bad and generally dictated by the price paid. Most seem to be built off shore these days.

JMO

Doug

I know you stated you don't want Aluminum, but this is one of the best out there. http://www.dewitts.com/collections/cheve...or-manual-28-25 If you are on the Team Chevelle Forum, they will give you a discount. It's basically the same as a 4 row Harrison Copper Radiator, but made out of Aluminum. I'm switching my Copper Harrison 4 Row to this shortly if you're interested in used. It's currently cooling a 496.

Those are nice rads, problem for me is in canada it's not so easy herring certain things. I call all the jobbers for rads and most of them have too order from the us so price gets up there really easy