Replacing Cooling System?

Malyc

Hey guys, been having a lot of coolant leaks cropping up, and was wondering at what point would you recommend just replacing all of the system components. Far as I know everything is original, but it's looking like the radiator is leaking in a couple of places now.

If you remove the rad, you could find a shop to re-core it and while the rad is out, replace all the hoses. I believe the lower hose has a spring inside to prevent the hose from collapsing, so look for it. Take a mirror and try to look under the water pump at the weep hole to see if it is starting to leak. Last, and hardest, the heater core. Mine went almost 40 years, no A/C. And you thought snow balls were gone! Good luck!

Bruce

I'm in Minnesota, there's still a decent pile of snow in my front yard, so I know they're still there... How much does a shop usually charge to recore the rad?

It's been too long and I know i will be off so I won't even try. Does the rad fit and look correct? IMO I like having my OEM stuff rebuilt or repaired when ever possible. Alternator, starter, master cylinder and rad. I like to give money to the local economy and if it fit for 40+ years, it will fit after a repair. Do a search for rad shops in your area and ask around.

Bruce

Oh, sorry about the snow, I drove my Monte today here in Michigan and although it was a bit cool with the windows all down, I loved it! I'm about 25 miles North of Detroit.

Yeah, had them both down when I was driving it home yesterday. Sounded great with the new exhaust I put on last weekend, until she overheated >.>