Oil in distributor cap?

CKZ03

Pulled my cap off as a precautionary measure during a trans swap and was surprised to see a line of oil around the perimeter. Not horrible, just traces, not like the distributor was oozing and filled up with oil. I'm assuming this is bad. Also assuming it's a bad seal on distributor shaft? Anyone experience this before? I'm thinking the cure is probably replace the distributor? That's what I get for buying a cheapie off eBay I suppose...

517CD897-ADFB-49E7-966A-5B00EADACE75_zps

429431EF-4CBC-4682-971B-A1BA4F16EA65_zps

25F6D043-3C1A-4933-AD14-9A575E1D6E40_zps

Wow that is a lot of oil!

There is not much for seals in the distributor except for gravity.

How is the crankcase vented? Could crankcase pressure be forcing oil up the shaft? I have never seen that before.

Is your PCV system working? Is it still a stock closed system? Just thinking the engine may be building up pressure inside, that isn't being removed by the PCV. One valve cover (Rt) has the inlet from the air cleaner and the other (Lt) has the PCV.

Bruce

Not sure that it's working properly, it's all new stuff but anymore that doesn't mean crap. I have a pcv hooked up on one valve cover and a breather/oil fill on the other, I suppose it could be a faulty pcv. It's venting alright, huge leak out the oil pan lol I also have pretty high oil pressure runs @ 70-80#'s at cruising speed, pegged at 100 at start up, comes down some once warmed up. 1200 miles on engine/car.

Good info Sam, thanks. Think we have determined the problem here and have multiple solutions. Thank you too Bruce, isn't this club great! grin

Makes sense after realizing there is a pressure problem. Pan barely leaked at idle but seemed to greatly increase during driving. Would only leave a few drops sitting parked but during driving must leak like mad cause the underside is coated terribly front to back. Will check into a new PCV/breather system, replacing pan with a painted steel vs. chrome and using the felpro one piece gasket in hopes to eliminate this problem.

The first thing I thought of from those pictures was crank case pressure and your oil pan leak, like Mike also mentioned.

So now you can pull that chrome oil pan out of the garbage and put it back on ????? LOL