Too many cables // Radio installation

jayzi

Hey guys. I'm on my way to install an AM radio into my Monte but I'm struggling with all the cables hanging around. Maybe someone can help... smile

So what we've got here are three wire harnesses.

First one has three cables: Yellow, Light grey, Black

Second one has seven cables: Light brown, Dark Brown, Purple, Blue, 3x Black-White

I guess this is the harness for the radio and at least the Light Brown, the Purple and 2x Black-White Cables are for two speakers in the front. But how do I connect these to the radio (which has 2x GND, SPK, LMP, 12V pins)). How do I even connect at least two speakers to only one SPK pin? The radio is not the original one, it came from a 72 Camaro.

Third harness has three cables on a connector: Light blue, Orange, Yellow

So I'm most interested in getting the radio and speaker(s) connected but these two other harnesses should also have a deeper sense. Which could it be? confused

Thanks in advance

Joerg

14419103002_aa24824d83_b.jpg

OK,

The 3 wire Harness:

Yellow = 12 volt switched power + Radio power

Light gray = Dial illumination powered with dash lamp circuit

Black = Radio Ground

7 Wire harness:

Purple = Right front speaker positive Circuit 924

Tan (Light Brn.) = Left front speaker positive Circuit 923

Brown (Dk. Brn.) = Right rear speaker positive Circuit 978

Blue = Left rear speaker positive Circuit 922

3 Black w/ white tracer = Speaker ground - one to both rears together and one to each front speaker Circuit 977

If you are hooking up an AM only, radio using these wire harnesses use the yellow/gray/black for power, illumination, and ground. For speakers you will only be able to power one speaker. Pick where you want the sound to come from and use those wires to power it. AM radios only support one 8 ohm speaker.

The third harness doesn't go to the radio. It is for the heater resistor located in the top of the underdash blower plenum.

Hi Joe. That was a great help. I got the radio running and somehow it seems to receive stations. There seems to be something wrong with the frequence control dial so I guess I need to look deeper into it.

Just one question regarding the heater resistor cable. Do you know exactly where it needs to be connected? Tried to find it but without success.

Thanks again

Joerg

Oh great, it is an a/c car. However I'm planning to remove the a/c. So would I need to connect it then ("plug to the top of the box on the inside under the dash") or won't there be a way to connect it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I finally decided to install the old radio but connect a modern one to the old switch. The new radio will be installed into the glove box. I will also install new speakers and new speaker cables. What's the easiest method to replace the cables for the back speakers? I removed the back seats but it seems to be the cables are running one level below and I don't understand how I can get access.

Thanks

Joerg

The on the four speaker systems, the harness was installed by Fisher Body, not the assembly plants, the rear speaker wires run from a plug just above the glove box. They drop down by the right kick panel then along the right side of the floor beside the seat. If you remove the carpet trim in the right door and lift up the carpet you should be able to see a depression in the floor that is covered with tape. The speaker wires is under that tape. If you look in the trunk you should see the wires coming up from behind the rear seat on the right side.

Thanks guys. Tried today to locate the cable and found out that it is somehow located in the middle of the car under the insulating compound. Since I didn't wanted to do a frame off resto only for speakers laugh I decided to tuck the new cable under the carpet on the right side (as it should have been usually from the factory?) and as suggested. It was easy. Thanks again and have a great weekend.