How far off is your speedometer?

Rock

Mine seems to be about 10mph fast. It said I was doing 75 and I was being passed by Toyota Prius. Is there a way to fix it? The speedometer is new aftermarket and the original was about the same. Is it in the cable or transmission? Not a huge deal but would like it to be a little more accurate.

Changing gears sounds like a pain. I will consult my mechanic(my son) and see what he thinks. A gps might be a cheaper alternative. Or topless and I could swap gears....we seem to have opposite problems! lol

I have a 700R4 and 3:73 gears and my speedo is right on with my GPS. My cruise will only hold 69MPH. I set it at 75 and it will drop back to 69 and stay there all day. Must be the downshift cable for the 700R4 putting to much pressure and the vacuum is not strong enough to hold it at the higher speed. I did put a lighter tension spring on the carb return and it increased 1 MPH over last year but a lighter spring than that and the car does not return to idle.

Some time ago I know I've seen a company that makes a little external gearbox that threads on where your speedometer cable goes on your tail shaft housing. Give them your tire size and gear ratios. I'll see if I can find the link for it.

TH350. Nothing special and I am not sure the size of the tires. Is it possible for the wheels to throw it off by 10mph or more?

Try this site also....

http://www.laspeedometergear.com/TH350%20Driven%20Speedometer%20Gears.htm

I've replaced mine several times in an attempt to get it correct, takes 5 minutes. Remove the speedometer cable from the trans, there is a small bolt holding a locking plate on the cable housing. Once the cable is removed, you'll see a plastic gear (pencil gear) about 3" long, as shown on this website, using their formula get the correct gear you need, their all color coded....I have a few spares but need to know which one you have??

When you replace the gear take note of which way the grooves in the shaft go. Either right twist or left twist. the grooves depending on the twist pull the trans fluid back up into trans or down out of trans and that can cause a leak. I had to change gears when I changed rear ends wasn't paying attention next thing I had was oil leak at speedo cable. when I compared gears I saw the difference, one had left thread other right hand threaded grooves. Put gear with correct twist and leak was gone. Made that way because some cables attach on left side and some on right side.

John S

My kid took my jack....It will have to wait till the weekend or later.....anniversary is Friday and we may be going to Vegas for the weekend.