small amount of oil pooling under carb

72jrfan88

Hello everyone. Just wondering if anyone else experienced oil pooling on intake under carb. Usually after I drive and park it I notice about a dime sized pool of oil on intake. I have installed new valve cover gaskets. The valve cover themselves are original. They have slight bends at the bolts from previous owner possibly tightening them to hard. But nothing noticeable and it does not seem to leak from the covers. The other side is dry. It almost seems as the breather holes in the picture have a bit of oil in them. I threaded a screw in there and it had some oil residue on it. Does anyone know why this could be? Car runs fine, doesnt burn oil or smoke or overheat. Ive always had a slight timing cover oil leak on the bottom but not enough to drip. I checked to see if intake bolts are tight and they appear to be. PCV system is working and the valve is not stuck. Any input would be great. The pictures below show where the oil pools right under air cleaner decal. Looks worse then it is. Its usually only dime sized. The residue heats up and cakes making it look worse. No oil loss ever noticed on the dipstick. Thank you in advance!

20140620_084728.jpg

20140620_084355.jpg

if you are sure it's not valve cover gaskets then it could be coming up through one of the two center intake bolts. Remove them one at a time...coat them with a thread sealer and re-install....

Ok thanks. Im fairly certain it isnt the valve cover gaskets as I just replaced them but im not ruiling out the covers themselves. Would those two bolts cause those breather baffles to have oil in them? Im not sure the proper name but they are also threaded almost as though something should be screwed in there.

I'm with Davey, as I experienced a similar issue with my stock manifold. Pull the bolts and put some black RTV on the threads and even around the bolt head, then let it cure before running the motor.

Very common for oil to travel up the bolt threads. Also make sure all your pcv system is working properly. If you haven't changed the pcv valve in a while, throw one of those on as well. Cheap assurance.

Thank you. Once I pick up some rtv. Ill give that a shot. Good to know that it could be a minor issue. I had guys at a cruise night start saying I need a rebuild as im probably only running on 6 cylinders and have damage to my heads!!! I was in shock. I did a compression test and boy they were wrong on that! She weeps a little oil and next thing you know I need a rebuild :)im sure in the future a rebuild will be necessary due to age but I only have 63k documented miles on it, so id rather not tear it apart unless I need to. i put new pcv on it last fall when i did plugs and valve cover gaskets so that seems good. Just thankful i belong to a forum with a pool of knowledge based on our specific cars as i still have alot to learn but enjoying the process! Thanks again

The second one is the one I and my son in-law Jamey have had the best luck with. It does work goot and even better after I let it set overnight before firing up the engine.