Starting an old engine???

farmall

Hey Guys,

I bought a 72 monte today with a 350/ auto. It has not been started for about 25 years. The original owner said that he removed the spark plugs and put marvel oil in the cylinders many years ago (not sure how long ago.) I removed the plugs and put a 5/8 socket with 3/8 wratchet on the crank and turned it over several times. It seems to spin ok. Are there any other things I should do before throwing a little gas in to see what it will do?

Congrats on the purchase! Nice to see your going to get it up and running again. Sounds like you got it covered. Some fresh motor oil and filter would be good if it was sitting that long. Fresh gas too unless you drained tank already?

Treed by Eric!LOL

Good sign the engine spins over!!!

Drain oil put in fresh and new filter. Fresh plugs. Check fuel filter. Good charge on battery. Check cables/ connections Check rubber fuel lines/ clamps. If points type distributor a new set of points and condenser. Check radiator hoses/heater hoses. Might want to check the radiator. 25 year old antifreeze might be pretty nasty. Check transmission fluid . When ya get it fired up check for leaks.

Have a fire extinguisher handy just in case

Good luck and post some pic's of your new ride.

David

I like to remove the plugs and squirt trans fluid in the cylinders and spin it over a good bit with the plugs out. Helps loosen the rings and any rust. New fluids goes without sayin.

My two cents would be to take off the valve covers inspect and lube the top end, could be pretty dry and even rusty after 25 years then replace them with new gaskets if all checks out okay. Plus what the others said. Good sign it spins!

Sorry about the picture. Here is a shot of the old girl. He couldn't find the key to the trunk so I removed the seat to get in. I found the wheel rings, centers, floor mats, fender skirts, jack and a very cool white sport coat. DSCN3139_zpsf8fa4dc6.jpg

Thats a great find, looks very solid. Not only is the car a good find but the white sport coat is pretty intriguing. Im thinking since the cars white....and the coats white you should wear it out tonight. Check the pocket you might even find some lucky strikes smile

I pulled the coat out of the trash can just to see if there might be some lucky strikes (or something more valuable) in the pockets. There were no pockets on this jacket. Doggone it!

On a more positive note, the monte fired up and ran for about 10 seconds. It knocked for about 3 seconds but smoothed out. I bought items to do the tune up and change fluids today. Maybe I can get it on the road before too long. As always, thanks for the suggestions.